(A) Each individual seeking to practice as an expanded function dental auxiliary shall register with the board in accordance with section 4715.62 of the Revised Code. An applicant for registration shall file with the secretary of the board a written application for registration, under oath, on a form the board shall prescribe and provide. An applicant shall include with the completed application all of the following:
(1) An application fee of twenty dollars;
(2) Proof that the applicant is one of the following:
(a) An unlicensed dentist who has graduated from an accredited dental college, as specified in section 4715.10 of the Revised Code, and does not have a dental license under suspension or revocation by the board;
(b) A dental student who is enrolled in an accredtied dental college, as specified in section 4715.10 of the Revised Code, and as is considered by the dean of the college to be in good standing as a dental student;
(c) A graduate of an unaccredited dental college located outside the United States;
(d) A dental assistant who is certified by the dental assisting national board or the Ohio commission on dental assistant certification;
(e) A dental hygienist licensed under this chapter whose license is in good standing; or
(f) A dental hygienist who has graduated from an accredited dental hygiene program, as specified in section 4715.21 of the Revised Code, and does not have a dental hygiene license under suspension or revocation by the board.
(3) Proof satisfactory to the board that the applicant has successfully completed, at an educational institution accredited by the American dental association commission on dental accreditation or the higher learning commission of the north central association of colleges and schools, the education or training specified in rule 4715-11-04.2 of the Administrative Code. Proof of completion of the education or training may be evidenced by a diploma or certificate of graduation or completion that has been signed by an appropriate official of the accrediting institution that provided education or training;
(4) Proof satisfactory to the board that the applicant has passed an examination that meets the standards established in rule 4715-11-04.3 of the Administrative Code;
(5) Proof that the applicant holds current certification to perform basic life-support procedures, evidenced by documentation showing the successful completion of a basic life-support training course certified by the American red cross, the American heart association, or the American safety and health institute.
(B) Registration as an expanded function dental auxiliary expires on the thirty-first day of December of the year following the year in which the registration occurs. An individual may renew a registration for subsequent two-year periods in accordance with the standard renewal procedures established under Chapter 4745. of the Revised Code by submitting all of the following to the secretary of the state dental board each time the individual seeks to renew a registration:
(1) A renewal fee of twenty dollars;
(2) A completed application for renewal, under oath, on a form the board shall prescribe and provide;
(3) Proof that the registrant holds current certification to perform basic life-support procedures, evidenced by documentation showing the successful completion of a basic life-support traing course certified by the American red cross, the American heart association, or the American safety and health institute.
(C) Paragraph (A) of this rule does not apply to any of the following:
(1) A dentist licensed under this chapter;
(2) A dental student who engages in any activities performed by expanded function dental auxiliaries as an integral part of a program of study leading to receipt of a license to practice as a dentist under this chapter;
(3) An expanded function dental auxiliary student when the student participates in an educational or training activity of an accredited education institution or a training program that does both of the following:
(a) Provides the education or training necessary to practice as an expanded function dental auxiliary; and
(b) Ensures that a dentist licensed under this chapter, or a dentist who holds a limited teaching license issued under this chapter, is physically present in the facility where the expanded function dental auxiliary performs clinical dental procedures on patients.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 06/24/2016 and 08/01/2021
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4715.66, 119.03
Rule Amplifies: 4715.39, 4715.61, 4715.62, 4715.63
Prior Effective Dates: 10/09/06, 04/02/10, 12/24/10