The sponsor is the individual, organization or educational institution or other entity conducting the professional education course. Sponsors shall be as follows:
(A) Permanent sponsor - An organization, school or other dental-related organization as set forth in divisions (B)(1) and (B)(2) of section 4715.141 and divisions (C)(1) to (C)(4) of section 4715.25 of the Revised Code whose continuing education courses are approved by the state dental board. These sponsors are:
(1) "American Dental Association," and constituent and component dental associations and societies affiliated with the "American Dental Association."
(2) "National Dental Association," and constituent and component dental associations and societies affiliated with the "National Dental Association."
(3) "American Dental Hygienists Association," and its recognized constituents, components and affiliated societies.
(4) "National Dental Hygienists' Association" and constituent and component dental hygienists' associations and societies affiliated with the "National Dental Hygienists' Association."
(5) National, state, district or local dental specialty organizations affiliated with the "American Dental Association."
(6) "Academy of General Dentistry" and its constituent and component organizations.
(7) Colleges and universities with accredited schools of dentistry or dental hygiene and community colleges with approved dental hygiene programs, when the continuing professional education program is held under the auspices of the school of dentistry or dental hygiene, or the dental hygiene program.
(8) Colleges and universities accredited by an accrediting agency approved by the United States office of education. Hospitals accredited by the "Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO)."
(9) Other organizations, schools or other dental-related organizations that by board action are listed as permanent sponsors.
(B) Biennial sponsor - Individuals, trade corporations, institutions, study clubs, dental research clinics, and nondental-related entities or groups that have applied and been approved by the board as sponsors for the current biennium. Sponsor approval shall be based upon the criteria identified in rule 4715-8-03 of the Administrative Code. Approval as a biennial sponsor automatically expires at the end of the biennium, and approval must be obtained for each successive biennial licensing period.
(C) The board retains the right and authority, upon notification, to audit, monitor, or request evidence demonstrating adherence to Chapter 4715. of the Revised Code, for courses given by any sponsor. The board may rescind biennial sponsor status if the sponsor has disseminated any false or misleading information in connection with the continuing education program, or if the sponsor has failed to conform to sections 4715.141 and 4715.25 of the Revised Code, or rules 4715-8-01, 4715-8-02 and 4715-8-03 of the Administrative Code.
(D) Continuing education sponsors submitting an application must meet the following eligibility criteria;
(1) A CE sponsor must ensure that all courses that are to be considered for Ohio licensure renewal have a sound scientific basis, proven efficacy to ensure public safety and must comply with the guidelines set forth in sections 4715.141 and 4715.25 of the Revised Code and all rules of the board.
(2) Sponsorship approval extends only to the CE sponsor; approval does not necessarily extend to individual courses, programs, lecturer(s) and instructor(s).
(3) A CE sponsor must document that it is targeting its activities to a great extent to dentists/dental hygienists/dental assistant radiographers by providing dental oriented topics within the scope of the profession.
(E) All biennial sponsors of continuing education shall ensure that all publicity criteria abide by the following:
(1) Publication must be informative and not misleading. It must include at a minimum the following:
(a) The name of the sponsor, as well as any organization or agencies providing financial support, must be clearly stated;
(b) Course title;
(c) Description of course content;
(d) The educational objectives;
(e) A description of teaching methods used;
(f) Costs and contact person;
(g) Course instructor(s) and their qualifications;
(h) Location, date and time;
(i) Specifics as to the sponsors board sponsorship status; and
(j) Number of credit hours each course provides towards fulfillment of CE obligation.
(2) Sponsors shall ensure that providers must avoid misleading statements regarding the nature of the activity or the benefits to be derived from participation.
(F) The requirements outlined in paragraphs (E)(1)(a) to (E)(1)(j) of this rule do not apply to board approved study clubs.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 06/24/2016 and 08/01/2021
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4715.03, 4715.141
Rule Amplifies: 4715.141 , 4715.16, 4715.25, 4715.53
Prior Effective Dates: 5/11/98, 4/05/01