(1) The applicant for a funeral director's registration shall apply to the board on a form provided by the board for registration, together with the applicable fee prior to the commencement of an apprenticeship.
(2) The applicant shall provide an official college transcript, showing that the applicant has earned a bachelor's degree from a college or university authorized to confer degrees by the Ohio board of regents or comparable agency of another state in which the college or university is located.
(3) The applicant for registration shall provide and bear the cost of a criminal records check in accordance with section 4776.01 of the Revised Code at the time of the requested registration. The applicant shall establish that the individual has not been convicted of, pleaded guilty to, or had a judicial finding of eligibility for treatment in lieu of conviction for any offense set forth in section 4717.05 of the Revised Code, or that at least five years has elapsed since the applicant was released from incarceration, a community control sanction, a post-release control sanction, parole, or treatment in connection with such offense.
(a) An applicant requesting a criminal records check shall provide the bureau of criminal identification and investigation with the applicant's name and address and with the name and address of the board.
(b) The applicant shall ask the superintendent of the Ohio bureau of criminal identification and investigation in the request to obtain from the federal bureau of investigation any information it has pertaining to the applicant.
(c) The board will only accept the results of a criminal records check that is submitted to the board directly by the Ohio bureau of criminal identification and investigation.
(4) Upon approval of the application for registration, the board shall issue a certificate of funeral director's registration.
(1) Upon issuance of a certificate of registration, the applicant shall submit a certificate of apprenticeship, along with the applicable fee, certifying the commencement of the funeral director's apprenticeship credit time. The funeral director's certificate of apprenticeship shall bear the signature and certification of both the apprentice and the master funeral director's and shall be filed with the board no later than ten days after the beginning of any funeral director's apprenticeship credit time.
(2) Upon approval of a certificate of apprenticeship, the board shall issue an apprenticeship card, carrying the beginning date of the funeral director's apprenticeship credit time. This card shall be carried by the funeral director's apprentice at all times while engaged as a funeral director apprentice.
(3) The applicant shall satisfactorily complete not less than twenty-four months of apprenticeship under the direction of a master funeral director and which apprenticeship must be certified to the board according to its requirements. The apprenticeship shall be completed in no more than forty-eight months from the date the apprenticeship commenced, unless the master funeral director and apprentice comply with paragraph (C)(2) of this rule. During the funeral director's apprenticeship the applicant must personally assist in at least fifty funerals under the direct supervision of the master funeral director, and must complete the tasks listed on the "Funeral Director Task List." If the board finds that an apprentice did not adequately complete one or more tasks on the "Funeral Director Task List" or did not receive the necessary training during his or her apprenticeship, the board may set out remedial steps for the apprentice to undertake to complete his or her apprenticeship.
(4) During the time of funeral director's apprenticeship, the apprentice shall file with the board progress case reports quarterly upon forms supplied by the board. Failure to comply shall be grounds for voidance or suspension of apprenticeship credit time by the board.
(5) The apprentice shall report to any board member within thirty days after the first six months of apprenticeship credit time for a personal interview, and shall report to any board member annually thereafter during any period of apprenticeship.
(6) During the period of funeral director's apprenticeship, the master funeral director under whom the apprentice funeral director is certified shall file with the board quarterly master funeral director reports on the apprentice's activities, including fulfillment of the tasks listed on the "Funeral Director Task List."
(C) Termination of funeral director's apprenticeship
(1) Upon completion of the full apprenticeship credit time, the applicant shall submit the following:
(a) The funeral director's termination of apprenticeship form bearing the signature and certification of both the apprentice and master funeral director to the dates of apprenticeship credit time. This termination of apprenticeship shall be filed with the board no later than thirty days after the completion of any period of apprenticeship;
(b) The certificate of registration;
(c) The apprenticeship card.
(2) In the event the apprenticeship is interrupted prior to the completion of the apprenticeship, the master funeral director and apprentice funeral director shall immediately notify the board of the interruption, and submit the funeral director's termination of apprenticeship form, and the funeral director's apprenticeship card.
(3) Failure to submit the embalmer's termination of apprenticeship form upon interruption of an apprenticeship prior to the completion of such apprenticeship shall be grounds for voidance by the board of the apprentice credit time.
(1) Upon approval of the termination of apprenticeship and successful completion of the full apprenticeship credit time, the applicant for a funeral director's license shall sit for a comprehensive examination and the Ohio laws and rules examination.
(2) Upon earning a passing score of seventy-five per cent or higher on all sections of a comprehensive examination and the Ohio laws and rules examination; the applicant shall submit to the board an application for funeral director's license, along with the applicable fee.
(E) Initial license
At the board meeting following receipt of the completed application for funeral director's license, and the applicable fee, the board may grant a funeral director's license.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 01/01/2017
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4717.04
Rule Amplifies: 4717.05
Prior Effective Dates: 6/19/74, 3/12/79, 1/1/84, 1/1/86, 7/1/87, 11-10-05