(A) Each application for approval of a faculty-directed continuing education activity submitted by a continuing education provider to an OBN approver must document all of the following:
(1) Availability of adequate resources to be used for administering and planning the continuing education activity, including identification of the person responsible for its administration and planning;
(2) The process of assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of a continuing education activity occurs under the direction of a registered nurse or a planning committee that includes at least one registered nurse, and at least one licensed practical nurse if the target audience includes licensed practical nurses;
(3) Identification of the target audience and appropriate outcomes for the identified target audience;
(4) Inclusion of learning outcomes for each segment of the continuing education activity that are appropriate for the identified target audience;
(5) Identification of a content outline reflecting continuing education principles, practice, and needs of the target audience;
(6) Identification of faculty credentials that include the specific qualifications of each faculty member for the topic area to be presented;
(7) A process ensuring the approved provider maintains control of, and responsibility for, all aspects of meeting and maintaining the continuing education requirements set forth in Chapter 4723-14 of the Administrative Code ;
(8) If any commercial support is provided for an education activity the continuing education provider will maintain control of the educational content and disclose to the learner the existence of commercial support;
(9) The provider will disclose to learners that there is no conflict of interest involving anyone with the ability to control content of the educational activity, or if there is a conflict that has been resolved by the provider, the provider will disclose to the learner the name of the individual, the type of relationship and the name of the commercial interest entity;
(10) Exhibits shall not be set up or positioned in such a way that will influence or distract a learner from the educational activity;
(11) Evaluation of the continuing education activity that addresses the achievement of program outcomes ; and
(12) Identification of criteria for successful completion of the continuing education activity that are communicated to the participant before the continuing education activity.
(B) Any marketing materials for the continuing education activity must be completed according to rule 4723-14-14 of the Administrative Code and must be submitted to the OBN approver for review. A draft may be submitted with the application with a final copy to be submitted for the record.
(1) All marketing for the continuing education activity shall include the approval status and the OBN approver number; and
(2) If approval by the OBN approver is pending, marketing for a continuing education activity shall include a statement that directs any interested party to contact the provider to obtain information regarding approval status.
(C) A document verifying completion of a continuing education activity must be given by the continuing education provider to all attendees who meet the requirements to receive contact hours. The document shall include:
(1) A space for the name of the attendee;
(2) The title of the program;
(3) The date of the program;
(4) The name and address of the provider of the continuing education activity;
(5) The name of the OBN approver and OBN approver number;
(6) The number of contact hours earned;
(7) When applicable, a statement that includes the number of category A hours, or a statement that includes the number of contact hours and a description of the following:
(c) Continuing education in advanced pharmacology for an advanced practice registered nurse designated as a clinical nurse specialist, certified nurse practitioner, or certified nurse-midwife as described in section 4723.24 of the Revised Code ;
(d) Continuing education for an advanced practice registered nurse designated as a clinical nurse specialist or certified nurse practitioner in the detection of concussion, its clinical features, assessment techniques, and the principles of safe return to play protocols as set forth in rule 4723-8-11 of the Administrative Code; and
(8) When applicable, indication of contact hours for the initial presentation of the continuing education activity by the presenter.
(D) Records must be maintained by the provider offering the continuing education activity in a safe, secure, and accessible manner for at least six years and shall include the following for each continuing education activity approved:
(1) A complete copy of all application data;
(2) All correspondence with the OBN approver;
(3) A list of all attendees who were issued contact hours for each date the continuing education activity was offered that includes the number of contact hours granted to each;
(4) A summary evaluation for each date the continuing education activity is offered; and
(5) Any change made to the program during its approval period.
(E) During the period of approval, the provider offering the continuing education activity approved by the OBN approver must notify the OBN approver of:
(1) Any additional presentation dates; and
(2) Any change made to the continuing education activity as submitted in the original application.
(F) An OBN approver may approve an individually submitted faculty-directed continuing education activity that complies with the standards set forth in this rule. The approval may be granted for up to two years.
(G) An application for reapproval of an individually submitted faculty-directed continuing education activity may be simplified according to policies established by the OBN approver.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 10/12/2017 and 10/11/2022
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4723.07, 4723.69, 4723.79
Rule Amplifies: 4723.24, 4723.651, 4723.77
Prior Effective Dates: 04/01/1991, 04/01/1993, 02/01/1996, 04/01/1998, 02/01/2001, 02/01/2002, 02/01/2003, 02/01/2007, 02/01/2013, 02/01/2015