(A) Each application for approval of a faculty-directed continuing education activity submitted by a continuing education provider to an OBN approver must document all of the following:
(1) Availability of adequate resources to be used for administering and planning the continuing education activity, including identification of the person responsible for its administration and planning;
(2) The process of assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of a continuing education activity occurs under the direction of a registered nurse or a planning committee that includes at least one registered nurse, and at least one licensed practical nurse if the target audience includes licensed practical nurses;
(3) Identification of the target audience and appropriate objectives for the identified target audience;
(4) Inclusion of behavioral objectives for each segment of the continuing education activity that are appropriate for the identified target audience;
(5) Identification of a content outline reflecting continuing education principles, practice, and needs of the target audience;
(6) Identification of faculty credentials that include the specific qualifications of each faculty member for the topic area to be presented;
(7) Written co-providership agreements that clearly identify the continuing education provider applicant as responsible for meeting and maintaining board requirements;
(8) A statement ensuring that if any commercial support or sponsorship support is provided for an education activity the continuing education provider will:
(a) Maintain control of the educational content and disclose to attendees all financial relationships or lack of financial relationships between the commercial supporter or sponsorship supporter and the educational provider or presenter; and
(b) Ensure that arrangements for commercial exhibits will not influence the planning of, or interfere with the presentation of educational activities;
(9) Evaluation of the continuing education activity that addresses the achievement of program objectives and the teaching effectiveness of each faculty member; and
(10) Identification of criteria for successful completion of the continuing education activity that are communicated to the participant before the continuing education activity.
(B) Any marketing materials for the continuing education activity must be completed according to rule 4723-14-14 of the Administrative Code and must be submitted to the OBN approver for review. A draft may be submitted with the application with a final copy to be submitted for the record.
(1) All marketing for the continuing education activity shall include the approval status and the OBN approver number; and
(2) If approval by the OBN approver is pending, marketing for a continuing education activity shall include a statement that directs any interested party to contact the provider to obtain information regarding approval status.
(C) A document verifying completion of a continuing education activity must be given by the continuing education provider to all attendees who meet the requirements to receive contact hours. The document shall include:
(1) A space for the name of the attendee;
(2) The title of the program;
(3) The date of the program;
(4) The name and address of the provider of the continuing education activity;
(5) The name of the OBN approver and OBN approver number;
(6) The number of contact hours earned;
(7) When applicable, a statement that includes the number of category A hours, or a statement that includes the number of contact hours and a description of the following:
(a) Continuing education for non-certified clinical nurse specialists as described in rule 4723-8-10 of the Administrative Code;
(b) Continuing education for dialysis care as described in rule 4723-23-06 of the Administrative Code; or
(c) Continuing education in advanced pharmacology for a nurse holding a certificate to prescribe as described in section 4723.485 of the Revised Code and rule 4723-9-07 of the Administrative Code; and
(8) When applicable, indication of contact hours for the initial presentation of the continuing education activity by the presenter.
(D) Records must be maintained by the provider offering the continuing education activity in a safe, secure, and accessible manner for at least six years and shall include the following for each continuing education activity approved:
(1) A complete copy of all application data;
(2) All correspondence with the OBN approver;
(3) A list of all attendees who were issued contact hours for each date the continuing education activity was offered that includes the number of contact hours granted to each;
(4) A summary evaluation for each date the continuing education activity is offered; and
(5) Any change made to the program during its approval period.
(E) During the period of approval, the provider offering the continuing education activity approved by the OBN approver must notify the OBN approver of:
(1) Any additional presentation dates; and
(2) Any change made to the continuing education activity as submitted in the original application.
(F) An OBN approver may approve an individually submitted faculty-directed continuing education activity that complies with the standards set forth in this rule. The approval may be granted for up to two years.
(G) An application for reapproval of an individually submitted faculty-directed continuing education activity may be simplified according to policies established by the OBN approver.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 10/11/2012 and 10/15/2017
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4723.07 , 4723.69 , 4723.79
Rule Amplifies: 4723.24 , 4723.651 , 4723.77
Prior Effective Dates: 04/01/1991, 04/01/1993, 02/01/1996, 04/01/1998, 02/01/2001, 02/01/2002, 02/01/2003, 02/01/2007