(A) An OBN approver may elect to approve and reapprove the continuing education system of a proposed provider unit for a specified period of time, not to exceed three years. The approval and reapproval processes shall be based on an in-depth analysis by the OBN approver of the ability of the proposed provider unit to meet the board continuing education requirements set forth in this chapter, and to maintain the requirements during the approval period. The applicant for initial approved provider unit status must include documentation demonstrating the proposed provider unit:
(1) Has the ability to meet the board continuing education requirements set forth in this chapter by having received approval for a specified number of continuing education activities or contact hours before applying for approval of the continuing education system;
(2) Is an identifiable unit and has goals consistent with the requirements of this chapter;
(3) Has sufficient resources to meet and maintain board requirements of this chapter including a registered nurse responsible for the planning and implementation of continuing education activities;
(4) Documents planned learning activities that meet the requirements of this chapter;
(5) The proposed provider unit must have the following ready to implement:
(a) A process ensuring that all continuing education requirements contained in this chapter are to be met and maintained;
(b) A process to ensure that all the required planning documentation is completed before presentation of the continuing education activity, and that the required records are completed after the presentation and maintained according to rule 4723-14-12 of the Administrative Code;
(c) A process ensuring the approved provider unit maintains control of, and responsibility for, all aspects of meeting and maintaining continuing education requirements set forth in this chapter;
(e) A process requiring ongoing evaluation of the approved provider unit's system;
(f) If any commercial support is provided for an activity, the continuing education provider will maintain control of the educational content and disclose the existence of commercial support to the learner;
(g) The provider will disclose to learners that there is no conflict of interest involving anyone with the ability to control content of the educational activity, or if there is a conflict that has been resolved by the provider, the provider will disclose to the learner the name of the individual, the type of relationship and the name of the commercial interest entity;
(h) Exhibits shall not be set up or positioned in such a way that will influence or distract a learner from the educational activity; and
(6) The applicant for approved provider unit status must submit to the OBN approver complete documentation of a continuing education activity that has been previously approved by an OBN approver. The documentation must demonstrate that the requirements for a continuing education activity required by this chapter are met.
(B) For reapproval, an approved provider unit must submit to the OBN approver, at a minimum, updated processes and sample documentation for a continuing education activity demonstrating that the requirements in rules 4723-14-15 and 4723-14-16 of the Administrative Code are met. The documentation must include the following:
(1) Marketing material;
(2) A description of how continuing education rules have been followed during the approval time period;
(3) Results of the approved provider unit's evaluation process; and
(4) Any additional information requested by the OBN approver.
(C) An approved provider unit must give written notice to the OBN approver within thirty days of any significant change in the:
(1) Provider system;
(2) Key personnel directly responsible for the provider system;
(3) Structure of the administration that influences the functioning of the provider;
(4) Ownership of the approved provider unit; or
(5) Approved provider unit activities.
(D) An approved provider unit shall not approve continuing education activities. An approved provider unit is authorized to award contact hours only for those continuing education activities that have been planned and implemented by the approved provider unit according to the requirements of this chapter, including having a registered nurse responsible for the planning and implementation of activities as required by paragraph (A)(3) of rule 4723-14-17 of the Administrative Code.
(E) Records must be maintained by the approved provider unit in a safe, secure, and accessible manner for at least six years, and must include:
(1) A complete copy of the provider unit application submitted to the OBN approver and all related correspondence;
(2) Copies of all continuing education activity files including:
(a) Documentation for a faculty-directed continuing education activity required by paragraphs (A) to (C) of rule 4723-14-15 of the Administrative Code, or documentation for an independent study required by rule 4723-14-16 of the Administrative Code;
(b) A list of all attendees who were awarded contact hours for each date the continuing education activity was offered that includes the number of contact hours awarded to each;
(c) A summary evaluation for each date the continuing education activity is offered; and
(d) Any changes made to the activity during the time the activity was offered to learners.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 10/12/2017 and 10/11/2022
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4723.07, 4723.69, 4723.79
Rule Amplifies: 4723.24, 4723.651, 4723.77
Prior Effective Dates: 04/01/1991, 04/01/1993, 02/01/1996, 04/01/1998, 02/01/2001, 02/01/2003, 02/01/2007, 02/01/2013