According to division (A)(2)(a) of section 4723.17 of the Revised Code, the minimum curriculum for an intravenous therapy course for licensed practical nurses shall be that contained in administrative rules in effect on January 1, 1999, and restated in paragraphs (A)(1) to (A)(13), and paragraph (C) of this rule.
(A) A course that prepares licensed practical nurses in limited intravenous therapy shall include a minimum of forty hours of instruction that shall be distributed appropriately to include the list of components below. Time shall be allocated for laboratory and supervised clinical practice. The components shall include, but are not limited to the following:
(1) Policies and procedures of both the Ohio board of nursing and the employing agency relating to intravenous therapy and accountability and responsibility of the licensed practical nurse in the performance of limited intravenous therapy procedures;
(2) Support and psychological preparation for the individual receiving intravenous therapy as well as the family members and significant others;
(3) Anatomy and physiology of the peripheral veins used for venipuncture;
(4) Procedure for venipuncture, collection of equipment, site selection, palpation of veins, and skin preparation;
(5) Procedures for adding intravenous solutions to existing infusions, hanging intravenous solutions, changing intravenous tubing, performing intravenous dressing changes and flushing and converting peripheral intermittent infusion devices;
(6) Relationships between intravenous therapy and the body's homeostatic and regulatory functions;
(7) Signs and symptoms of local and systemic complications in the administration of fluids and guidelines for management of these complications as well as preventive measures;
(8) Identification of various types of equipment used in administering intravenous therapy with content related to criteria for use of each and means of troubleshooting for malfunction;
(9) Formulas used to calculate flow rate;
(10) Principles and practices of universal blood and body fluid precautions, as set forth in Chapter 4723-20 of the Administrative Code, and as related to intravenous therapy;
(11) Glossary of common terminology pertinent to intravenous therapy;
(12) Documentation of intravenous therapy procedures; and
(13) Demonstration of successful application of knowledge and skills to clinical practice by skills testing at least all of the components included in paragraphs (A)(8) and (A)(9) of this rule.
(B) In addition to the requirements set forth in paragraph (A) of this rule, an intravenous therapy course for licensed practical nurses shall also include the following:
(1) A review of Chapter 4723. of the Revised Code and the rules of the board with respect to the role, accountability, and responsibility of the licensed practical nurse in intravenous therapy;
(2) Anatomy and physiology of the cardiovascular system as related to homeostasis;
(3) Anatomy and physiology of the respiratory system as related to homeostasis;
(4) Signs and symptoms of local and systemic complications in the administration of antibiotics;
(5) Guidelines for the management of complications arising from the intravenous administration of antibiotics;
(6) Procedures for reconstituting and administering intravenous antibiotics via piggyback which shall include, but not be limited to, pharmacology, compatibilities, and flow rates;
(9) A review of the role of the registered nurse, licensed physician, dentist, optometrist, or podiatrist who is directing the licensed practical nurse to perform an intravenous therapy procedure with reference to how the role may differ depending upon the setting in which the intravenous therapy is being provided.
(C) Opportunity shall be given to the nurses to develop proficiency in limited intravenous therapy procedures and related nursing care. Practice of all skill components and skills testing shall be done in either supervised clinical practice or while supervised in the laboratory.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 10/13/2009 and 10/01/2014
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4723.07
Rule Amplifies: 4723.17
Prior Effective Dates: 04/01/1993, 12/01/1993, 02/01/2000, 02/01/2001,