As used in this chapter:
(A) "Certificate holder" means an individual holding either:
(1) A current, valid certificate of authority issued by the board to practice as a certified nurse-midwife, certified nurse practitioner, certified registered nurse anesthetist, or clinical nurse specialist; or
(2) A current, valid certificate issued by the board to provide dialysis care as a dialysis technician.
(B) "Educational intervention" means the following:
(1) One or more learning activities that meet the requirements of rule 4723-18-06 of the Administrative Code, with content and objectives that address a participant's prescribed learning needs;
(2) An activity with content and objectives that meet a participant's prescribed learning needs provided by the participant's employer through a registered nurse who meets the qualifications set forth in rule 4723-18-06 of the Administrative Code.
(C) "Employer" means any person for whom a participant works, or may work in the future, or any institution that grants practice privileges enabling an individual to practice at the institution, while participating in the practice intervention and improvement program.
(D) "Licensee" means any individual holding a current valid license issued by the board to practice nursing as a registered nurse or licensed practical nurse.
(E) "Participant" means a licensee or certificate holder undergoing a remedial process in the practice intervention and improvement program.
(F) "Participatory agreement" means a voluntary, written contract between an individual and the board's practice intervention and improvement program (PIIP) in which the board abstains from taking disciplinary action against the individual for violation of Chapter 4723. of the Revised Code and the individual agrees to be monitored by the board and remediated according to the terms and conditions of the program. The participatory agreement includes, but is not limited to, the following:
(1) Stipulation by the individual to one of more identified practice deficiencies;
(2) Agreement of the individual to completion of the remediation process required by the board;
(3) Authorization by the individual to the release of records and information to PIIP by employers, workplace monitors and other parties involved in the individual's remediation process; and
(4) Acknowledgment by the individual that their failure to comply with the terms and conditions of the participatory agreement will result in disciplinary action by the board.
(G) "Practice intervention and improvement program" or "PIIP" means the program authorized by section 4723.282 of the Revised Code that allows the board to abstain from taking disciplinary action against a licensee or certificate holder, who has a practice deficiency that has been identified by the board through an investigation conducted under section 4723.28 of the Revised Code.
(H) "Practice deficiency" means a practice activity that does not meet acceptable and prevailing standards of safe nursing care as set forth in Chapter 4723-4 of the Administrative Code, Chapter 4723-8 of the Administrative Code, Chapter 4723-9 of the Administrative Code, or the acceptable and prevailing standards of safe dialysis care set forth in Chapter 4723-23 of the Administrative Code.
(I) "Remediation" means a prescribed educational intervention that is designed to correct an individual's identified practice deficiency. Remediation includes, but is not limited to, successful demonstration by the individual that the learned knowledge and skills have been incorporated into the individual's practice.
(J) "Supervising member" means the board member elected to serve as the supervising member for disciplinary matters in accordance with section 4723.02 of the Revised Code.
(K) "Workplace monitor" means the individual who observes and evaluates, for a specified time period, the practice of a participant in PIIP to determine whether the participant has incorporated applicable learned knowledge and skills into workplace practice.
Replaces: Replaces former 4723-18-01
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 10/15/2018
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4723.07 , 4723.282
Rule Amplifies: 4723.282
Prior Effective Dates: 02/01/2001, 02/01/2003, 02/01/2004, 02/01/2007, 02/01/2009