(A) To be approved by the board a testing organization that conducts an examination of a dialysis technician shall meet all of the following requirements:
(1) Be national in the scope of its testing and credentialing;
(2) Maintain files for each candidate who passes the organization's examination for dialysis technicians;
(3) Issue a certificate to each individual who passes the organization's examination for dialysis technicians;
(4) Periodically conduct an analysis of the tasks, role delineation, skills, and knowledge required of a dialysis technician with a minimum of one year's experience in providing dialysis care and revise the examination as needed to reflect the findings of the analysis;
(5) Require a minimum of twelve months experience in dialysis care before the candidate is allowed to take the examination;
(6) Provide a formal process by which an affected individual may appeal the organization's decision to revoke certification when the organization has such revocation authority;
(7) Provide a mechanism for assuring the security of the examination;
(8) Not be affiliated in any way with a provider of dialysis care or with a dialysis technician training program; and
(9) Include on the examination material that comprehensively tests the following:
(a) Patient care activities that include but are not limited to:
(i) Collection of objective and subjective data about the patient's condition;
(ii) The patient's response to dialysis; and
(iii) Appropriate interventions when complications arise in conjunction with dialysis;
(b) Principles of dialysis delivery systems and machine technology which include but are not limited to:
(i) Operation of the machines used in dialysis;
(ii) Machine set-up; and
(iii) Machine evaluation;
(c) Principles of water treatment systems which include but are not limited to:
(i) System components and design;
(ii) Maintenance of the water treatment system;
(iii) Monitoring of the water treatment system; and
(iv) Evaluation of the system;
(d) Principles of dialyzer reprocessing including but not limited to reprocessing procedures, testing, and evaluation; and
(e) Responsibilities of the dialysis technician with respect to documentation, patient education, and professional development.
The board may also require a testing organization to demonstrate that the test administered by the organization is psychometrically sound.
(B) A testing organization seeking approval by the board shall submit to the board a completed application, located at http://www.nursing.ohio.gov/forms.htm (revised 2015), that includes the information required by the board to determine whether the organization meets the requirements set forth in paragraph (A) of this rule. The board shall verify compliance of each testing organization with the criteria contained in paragraph (A) of this rule.
(C) Annually, at a time specified by the board, the board shall provide to each testing organization approved by the board for the prior year a form specified by the board , located at http://www.nursing.ohio.gov/forms.htm (revised 2015), on which the organization shall indicate whether it complies with the criteria contained in paragraph (A) of this rule. The board shall verify continued compliance of each testing organization with the criteria contained in paragraph (A) of this rule.
(D) The board shall issue a written notification to each testing organization that is approved by the board.
(E) No later than January thirty-first of each year, the board shall make available a list of approved testing organizations that meet the requirements of paragraph (A) of this rule.
(F) The board may discontinue approval of a testing organization that does not meet the criteria contained in paragraph (A) of this rule or that fails to timely return to the board the form indicating compliance with paragraph (A) of this rule.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 10/15/2015 and 10/15/2020
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4723.74, 4723.79
Rule Amplifies: 4723.751
Prior Effective Dates: 10/01/2000, 02/01/2006, 02/01/2014