(A) A dialysis technician shall administer only the following medications:
(1) Intradermal lidocaine or another single therapeutically equivalent local anesthetic for the purpose of initiating dialysis treatment;
(2) Intravenous heparin or other single therapeutically equivalent anticoagulant for the purpose of initiating and maintaining dialysis treatment;
(3) Intravenous normal saline;
(4) Patient specific dialysate to which the dialysis technician may add only electrolytes; and
(5) Oxygen, when the administration of the oxygen has been delegated to the dialysis technician by a registered nurse.
(B) When administering the medications set forth in paragraph (A) of this rule, the dialysis technician shall:
(1) Assure that the right dose of the right medication is given to the right individual through the right route of administration at the right time;
(2) Accurately and timely document the administration of the medication and notify a physician or licensed nurse of the patient's response to the medication as appropriate;
(3) Consult with an appropriate licensed practitioner when the dialysis technician believes or has reason to believe that a prescribed medication is inaccurate, not properly authorized, harmful or potentially harmful to a patient, or contraindicated by other documented information; and
(4) Take any other action needed to assure the safety of the patient.
(C) A dialysis technician shall administer the medications authorized by this rule only if the task has been delegated to the dialysis technician by a registered nurse in accordance with Chapter 4723-13 of the Administrative Code or by a licensed physician.
(D) The dialysis technician shall be in the immediate presence of a registered nurse or physician when administering medications.
(E) Notwithstanding paragraph (D) of this rule, when a dialysis technician administers medications while providing dialysis care in the patient's home a registered nurse shall supervise the technician in accordance with rule 4723-23-13 of the Administrative Code.
Cite as Ohio Admin. Code 4723-23-12
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 10/15/2015 and 10/15/2020
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4723.79
Rule Amplifies: 4723.72
Prior Effective Dates: 10/01/2000, 02/01/2003, 02/01/2006