(A) A registered nurse may delegate a nursing task to a community health worker if all the conditions for delegation set forth in this chapter are met.
(B) Prior to delegating a nursing task to a community health worker, the delegating registered nurse shall determine each of the following :
(1) That the nursing task is within the scope of practice of a registered nurse as set forth in section 4723.01 of the Revised Code;
(2) That the nursing task is within the knowledge, skill, and ability of the registered nurse delegating the nursing task ;
(3) That the nursing task is within the training, skill, and ability of the community health worker who will be performing the delegated nursing task ;
(4) That appropriate resources and support are available for the performance of the nursing task , and for management of the outcome;
(5) That adequate and appropriate supervision by the registered nurse of the performance of the nursing task is available in accordance with this rule; and
(a) The nursing task requires no judgment based on nursing knowledge and expertise on the party of the community health worker performing the task;
(b) The results of the nursing task are reasonably predictable;
(c) The nursing task can be safely performed according to exact, unchanging directions, with no need to alter the standard procedures for performing the task;
(d) The performance of the nursing task does not require that complex observations or critical decisions be made with respect to the nursing task;
(e) The nursing task does not require repeated performance of nursing assessments by the delegating registered nurse; and
(f) The consequences of performing the nursing task improperly are minimal and not life threatening.
(C) Prior to delegating a nursing task to a community health worker, a registered nurse shall:
(a) The individual on whom the nursing task may be performed; and
(b) A specific time frame during which the delegated nursing task may be performed.
(2) Complete an evaluation of the conditions that relate to the delegation of the nursing task to be performed, including:
(a) An evaluation of the individual who needs nursing care;
(b) The types of nursing care the individual requires;
(c) The complexity and frequency of the nursing care needed;
(d) The stability of the individual who needs nursing care; and
(e) A review of the evaluations performed by other licensed health care professionals.
(D) The delegating registered nurse shall be accountable for the acts of delegation to and supervision of the community health worker in the performance of the delegated nursing task .
(E) If a registered nurse determines that a community health worker is not correctly performing a delegated task the registered nurse shall immediately intervene .
(F) A registered nurse shall not be responsible for the delegation of a nursing task by another licensed health care practitioner to a community health worker.
Prior History: (Five Year Review (FYR) Dates:
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4723.88
Rule Amplifies: 4723.82
Prior Effective Dates: 02/01/2005, 02/01/2010)