(A) To be approved by the board in accordance with division (G) of section 4723.88 of the Revised Code, a community health worker training program shall employ or contract with a person to serve as program administrator. Such person shall meet one of the following criteria:
(1) Hold a license or certificate to practice as one of the following health care professionals:
(a) A dentist licensed under Chapter 4715. of the Revised Code;
(b) A nurse licensed under Chapter 4723. of the Revised Code;
(c) An optometrist licensed under Chapter 4725. of the Revised Code;
(d) A pharmacist licensed under Chapter 4729. of the Revised Code;
(e) A physician assistant certified under Chapter 4730. of the Revised Code;
(f) A physician licensed under Chapter 4731. of the Revised Code;
(g) A psychologist licensed under Chapter 4732. of the Revised Code;
(h) A chiropractor licensed under Chapter 4734. of the Revised Code;
(i) A nursing home administrator licensed under Chapter 4751. of the Revised Code;
(j) A counselor, social worker, or marriage and family therapist licensed under Chapter 4757. of the Revised Code; or
(k) A dietitian licensed under Chapter 4759. of the Revised Code.
(2) Hold credentials as an education professional that are recognized by:
(a) The Ohio department of education;
(b) The Ohio board of regents; or
(c) A nationally or regionally recognized accreditation body for programs of postsecondary education.
(B) The administrator of a community health worker training program shall be responsible for the following:
(1) Assuring that the community health worker training program establishes written policies addressing the issues set forth in paragraph (C) of this rule;
(2) Assuring that the policies of the program are implemented as written;
(3) Assuring that the nursing tasks included in the curriculum of an approved community health worker training program are taught by an individual who:
(a) Has held an Ohio license to practice registered nursing for a minimum of two years;
(b) Is not prohibited by law from teaching nursing tasks;
(c) Satisfies one of the following:
(i) Has experience in working directly with community health workers for a minimum of six months prior to entering into an instructor role; or
(ii) Within six months after assuming instructor responsibilities in the community health worker training program, successfully completes the community health worker program coursework.
(4) Assuring that the training program utilizes other licensed health care professionals to provide portions of the relevant classroom and clinical instruction in accordance with the professional's educational background and licensed scope of practice.
(C) A community health worker training program shall adopt and implement program policies that address all of the following:
(1) Criteria for students to enroll and continue in the program that establish a basic level of ability necessary for an individual to safely perform the essential functions of a community health worker;
(2) Criteria for student re-enrollment in the program;
(3) Criteria for successful completion of the program;
(4) A process for determining that a student has sufficient knowledge and understanding to competently provide the care and services of a community health worker including both nursing tasks and non-nursing tasks.
(a) A registered nurse shall provide written verification that a community health worker student has been taught the skills necessary to perform delegated nursing tasks;
(b) A registered nurse or other qualified community health worker training program instructor or administrator shall provide written verification that a student has been taught skills necessary to provide the non-nursing tasks provided by a community health worker.
(5) A process for maintaining student records including:
(a) The date a student began the program;
(b) The date a student completed the program; and
(c) The competency check lists for each individual student.
(6) An accurate, timely process to provide verification to the board that a student seeking certification as a community health worker has successfully completed the approved training program;
(7) A process for program evaluation that includes feedback from students, instructors and employers of individuals who have successfully completed the community health worker training program;
(8) Designation of those persons with authority to notify the board regarding student enrollment, re-enrollment, and completion of the program;
(9) A process for addressing the unexpected vacancy of the administrator of the program; and
(10) For individuals with experience in the armed forces of the United States, or in the national guard or in a reserve component, the program shall have a process in place to:
(a) Review the individual's military education and skills training;
(b) Determine whether any of the military education or skills training is substantially equivalent to the curriculum established in Chapter 4723-26 of the Administrative Code;
(c) Award credit to the individual for any substantially equivalent military education or skills training.
(D) When the administrator of an approved community health worker training program vacates the position or is replaced, an authorized representative of the program shall provide written notice to the board within thirty days after the position is vacated and within thirty days after a new person assumes the role.
(E) An approved training program shall not initiate a new community health worker training program unless an administrator who meets the requirements of paragraph (A) of this rule is in place.
(F) When a decision is made to close a community health worker training program, the board shall be notified in writing of the decision and provided with the following information:
(1) The tentative date of closing;
(2) The location of the program's records, including but not limited to, student records; and
(3) The name and address of the custodian of the records.
Prior History: (Five Year Review (FYR) Dates:
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4723.88
Rule Amplifies: 4723.87
Prior Effective Dates: 02/01/2005, 02/01/2010, 02/01/2014)