As used in this chapter:
(A) "Advanced practice registered nurse" means an individual who holds a current, valid license issued under Chapter 4723. of the Revised Code that authorizes the practice of nursing as an advanced practice registered nurse and is designated as any of the following:
(1) A certified registered nurse anesthetist;
(2) A clinical nurse specialist;
(3) A certified nurse-midwife;
(4) A certified nurse practitioner.
(B) "Collaboration" or "collaborating" means:
(1) In the case of a certified nurse practitioner or a clinical nurse specialist, that a podiatrist or physician has entered into a standard care arrangement with the nurse and is continuously available to communicate with the clinical nurse specialist or certified nurse practitioner either in person, or by electronic communication ;
(2) In the case of a certified nurse-midwife, that a physician has entered into a standard care arrangement with the nurse and is continuously available to communicate with the nurse either in person, or by electronic communication. .
(C) "Dentist" means an individual holding a license issued under Chapter 4715. of the Revised Code to practice dentistry, and who is practicing in Ohio.
(D) "Physician" means an individual holding a certificate issued under Chapter 4731. of the Revised Code authorizing the practice of medicine and surgery or osteopathic medicine and surgery, and who is practicing in Ohio.
(E) "Podiatrist" means an individual holding a certificate issued under Chapter 4731. of the Revised Code authorizing the practice of podiatric medicine, and who is practicing in Ohio.
(F) "Practice of nursing as an advanced practice registered nurse" means providing to individuals and groups nursing care that requires knowledge and skill obtained from advanced formal education, training and clinical experience. Such nursing care includes the care described in section 4723.43 of the Revised Code.
(G) "Nursing specialty" means a specialty in practice as a certified registered nurse anesthetist, clinical nurse specialist, certified nurse-midwife, or certified nurse practitioner.
(H) "Standard care arrangement" means a written, formal guide for planning and evaluating a patient's health care that is developed by a collaborating physician or podiatrist and a certified nurse-midwife, certified nurse practitioner, or clinical nurse specialist, and that meets the requirements of section 4723.431 of the Revised Code and this chapter.
(I) "Supervision" means that a certified registered nurse anesthetist is under the direction of a podiatrist, a dentist, or a physician, and, when administering anesthesia, the certified registered nurse anesthetist is in the immediate presence of the podiatrist, dentist, or physician.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 10/15/2020
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4723.07
Rule Amplifies: 4723.01, 4723.43
Prior Effective Dates: 04/01/1997, 02/01/2002, 04/01/2006, 11/05/2012, 02/01/2014