(A) To renew a certificate to prescribe, a certified nurse-midwife, certified nurse practitioner, or clinical nurse specialist who meets the qualifications set forth in sections 4723.24 and 4723.485 of the Revised Code shall submit:
(1) A completed renewal application on a form specified by the board;
(2) Documentation satisfactory to the board of having completed during the previous two years at least twelve hours of additional continuing education in advanced pharmacology , which includes instruction that is specific to controlled substances, or, if the certificate has been held for less than a full renewal period, at least six hours of approved continuing education in pharmacology , which includes instruction specific to controlled substances; and
(3) A renewal fee of fifty dollars and all other applicable fees.
(B) A renewed certificate to prescribe shall be current until the next scheduled renewal period for registered nurse licensure.
(C) The board shall provide to each holder of a current, valid certificate to prescribe, an application for renewal of a certificate to prescribe, except when the board is aware that an individual is ineligible for renewal for any reason, including those reasons specified in division (A) of section 4723.24 of the Revised Code. Failure of the holder to receive an application for renewal from the board does not excuse the holder from the requirements of Chapter 4723. of the Revised Code and this chapter.
(D) A holder of a current valid certificate to prescribe who does not intend to prescribe drugs or therapeutic devices in Ohio may request that the certificate to prescribe be placed on inactive status:
(1) At time of renewal, by checking the appropriate box on the certificate to prescribe renewal application that indicates the holder wishes to be places on inactive status; or
(2) At any other time, by submitting to the board a written statement requesting inactive status, and the holder's current certificate to prescribe.
(E) While on inactive status, a nurse shall not represent or imply to the public that the nurse is authorized to prescribe drugs or therapeutic devices.
(F) An inactive or lapsed certificate to prescribe may be reactivated or reinstated pursuant to a written request which shall be accompanied by:
(1) A completed certificate to prescribe renewal application on a form specified by the board; and
(2) Payment of the applicable fees set forth in section 4723.08 of the Revised Code.
(G) If the certificate to prescribe has lapsed or been placed on inactive status for three years or longer, the nurse seeking to reinstate or reactivate the certificate shall first obtain an externship certificate to prescribe and shall meet all requirements of externship including completion of the pharmacology course in accordance with rule 4723-9-03 of the Administrative Code. This requirement applies to all certificate holders, including those who originally obtained a certificate to prescribe according to division (C) or (D) of section 4723.482 of the Revised Code.
(H) In addition to the requirements of this rule, all nurses who hold a certificate to prescribe issued by the board prior to the effective date of rule 4723-9-13 of the Administrative Code are required to comply with that rule on or before August 31, 2013, in order to renew their certificate to prescribe.