A board approved examination for qualified pharmacy technicians required in section 4729.42 of the Revised Code means either of the following:
(A) An examination provided by a national pharmacy technician certification program that is accredited by the national commission for certifying agencies. Information regarding these examinations will be posted on the board's web site (www.pharmacy.ohio.gov).
(B) An examination provided by an employer after being approved by the board of pharmacy.
(1) The employer shall ensure that the examination is of appropriate breadth and depth, clearly addressing the competencies required for a technician to safely and effectively work in that particular setting and shall include at a minimum the following:
(b) Pharmacy terminology;
(c) Basic drug information;
(d) Basic calculations;
(e) Quality control procedures;
(f) State and federal laws, rules, and regulations regarding:
(i) Qualified pharmacy technician duties;
(ii) Pharmacist duties;
(iii) Pharmacy intern duties;
(iv) Prescription or drug order processing procedures;
(v) Drug record keeping requirements;
(vi) Patient confidentiality;
(vii) Security requirements;
(viii) Storage requirements.
(2) An examination provided by an employer shall only be considered as an approved examination for that employer.
(3) The employer shall have procedures that ensure the security and integrity of the examination materials, describe the testing format, and define the successful completion of an examination which must be at least seventy-five per cent. The administration of an examination shall be supervised by a proctor and at a minimum shall consist primarily of multiple choice, essay, or short answer questions. The questions on the examination shall not be given to the examinee prior to taking the examination. The answers to the examination must not be given to the examinee prior to or during the examination. The examinee shall agree in writing not to share the questions or answers to the examination with any other person.
(4) The employer shall maintain the examinations and scores of all of the employees who successfully passed an examination for a minimum of three years after the employee ceases employment.
(5) An employer shall provide the examination procedures and the examination materials to the board for review and approval. The board, after reviewing the examination procedures and materials, may approve the examination program or return it to the employer for revision without approval. If an examination program has been returned for revision without approval, the board will indicate the reasons for the rejection and it may not be used further until the board has approved it. If requested by the state board of pharmacy, an employer shall provide the examination results to the board within three working days, excluding weekends and holidays.
Prior History: (Effective:
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 12/31/2013
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4729.26, 4729.42
Rule Amplifies: 4729.42)