(1) All pharmacists working in a pharmacy must be able to access all current federal and state laws, regulations, and rules governing the legal distribution of drugs in Ohio;
(2) The pharmacy shall have access to and utilize the references necessary to conduct a pharmacy in a manner that is in the best interest of the patients served and to comply with all state and federal laws; and
(3) Telephone number of a poison control center.
The pharmacy shall carry and utilize the equipment necessary to conduct a pharmacy in a manner that is in the best interest of the patients served and to comply with all state and federal laws.
(C) Stock of drugs
The stock of drugs shall include such chemicals, drugs, and preparations sufficient to compound and prepare all types of prescriptions offered by the pharmacy.
(D) Prescription containers
The stock of prescription containers shall include such containers as are necessary to dispense drugs in accordance with federal and state laws, including the provisions of the federal Poison Prevention Act of 1970 and compendial standards, or as recommended by the manufacturer or distributor for non-compendial drug products.
(E) Space and fixtures
(1) The stock, library, and equipment shall be housed in a suitable, well-lighted and well-ventilated room or department with clean and sanitary surroundings primarily used for the compounding and preparing of prescriptions and for the manufacture of pharmaceutical preparations.
(2) All areas where drugs and devices are stored shall be dry, well-lighted, well-ventilated, and maintained in a clean and orderly condition. Storage areas shall be maintained at temperatures which will ensure the integrity of the drugs prior to their dispensing as stipulated by the USP/NF and/or the manufacturer's or distributor's labeling unless otherwise indicated by the board.
(F) Pharmacy hours
Notice to the public of operating hours of the pharmacy department must be posted.
The pharmacy shall be appropriately staffed to operate in a safe and effective manner pursuant to section 4729.55 of the Revised Code. An employee of a pharmacy that may have contact with patients or the general public must be identified by a nametag that includes the employee's job title.
(H) Additional minimum standards are required for specialized pharmacy practices pursuant to Chapters 4729-15, 4729-17, and 4729-19 of the Administrative Code.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 03/07/2014 and 05/22/2019
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4729.26
Rule Amplifies: 4729.54, 4729.55
Prior Effective Dates: 9/10/1976, 9/1/1985, 3/21/1988, 7/1/1990, 7/1/1992, 7/1/1994, 3/1/1999, 1/1/2006, 11/1/09