(A) Any person legally authorized under Chapters 3719. and 4729. of the Revised Code to possess dangerous drugs which are controlled substances may dispose of such drugs by the following procedure:
(1) If the person is a registrant or prescriber required to keep records pursuant to Chapters 3719. and 4729. of the Revised Code, the responsible pharmacist or prescriber shall send the state board of pharmacy a list of the dangerous drugs which are controlled substances containing the name, strength, dosage form, and quantity to be disposed of.
(2) If the person is not a registrant or prescriber, he shall submit to the state board of pharmacy a letter stating:
(a) The full name and address of the person possessing the dangerous drugs which are controlled substances to be disposed of;
(b) The name, strength, dosage form, and quantity of each controlled substance;
(c) How the applicant obtained the controlled substances; and
(d) The full name, address, and registration number of the person who possessed the controlled substances prior to the applicant, if known.
(B) The executive director, or his/her designee, shall authorize and instruct the applicant to dispose of the dangerous drugs which are controlled substances in one of the following manners:
(1) By transfer to persons registered under Chapters 3719. and 4729. of the Revised Code, and authorized to possess the controlled substances;
(2) By destruction in the presence of a state board of pharmacy officer, agent, or inspector or other authorized person; or
(3) By such other means as the state board of pharmacy may determine to assure that the controlled substances do not become available to unauthorized persons.
(C) In the event that a registrant is required regularly to dispose of dangerous drugs which are controlled substances, the executive director may authorize the registrant to dispose of such controlled substances, in accordance with paragraph (B)(1) of this rule, without prior approval of the state board of pharmacy in each instance on the condition that the registrant keep records of such disposals and file periodic reports with the state board of pharmacy summarizing the disposals made by the registrant. In granting such authority, the executive director may place conditions on the disposal of dangerous drugs which are controlled substances including, but not limited to, the method of disposal and the frequency and detail of reports.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 08/10/2011 and 10/01/2016
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3719.28 , 4729.26
Rule Amplifies: 3719.05 , 3719.06 , 3719.07
Prior Effective Dates: 9/10/76, 7/1/93, 2/1/98, 3/1/99, 4/27/07