(A) For purposes of Chapter 4730. of the Administrative Code:
(1) "On-site supervision" means the supervising physician is required to be physically present in the same location as the physician assistant, but does not require the supervising physician's physical presence in the same room.
(2) "Health care facility" means either of the following:
(a) A hospital registered with the department of health under section 3701.07 of the Revised Code;
(b) A health care facility licensed by the department of health under section 3702.30 of the Revised Code.
(3) "Office-based practice" means medical practice in a location other than a health care facility.
(4) "Service" means a medical function, task, or activity which requires training in the diagnosis, treatment or prevention of disease, including the use and administration of drugs.
(5) "Board" means the state medical board of Ohio.
(6) "Local anesthesia" means the injection of a drug or combination of drugs to stop or prevent a painful sensation in a circumscribed area of the body where a painful procedure is to be performed, and is limited to local infiltration anesthesia, digital blocks, and pudendal blocks. Local anesthesia does not include regional anesthesia or any systemic sedation.
(7) "Medical order" means one or more diagnostic or treatment directives generated by a physician or physician assistant that commands the execution of specific activities to be performed or delivered as part of a diagnostic or therapeutic regimen of a patient.
(8) "CME" means continuing medical education.
(9) "Licensure period" means the period between granting of the initial or renewed license and the next scheduled renewal date for the license.
(B) For purposes of Chapter 4730. of the Revised Code: "Being readily available to the physician assistant through some means of telecommunication and in a location that is a distance from the location where the physician assistant is practicing that reasonably allows the physician to assure proper care of patients" as used in section 4730.21 of the Revised Code means the physician is available to the physician assistant for direct communication via telephone or other real-time electronic, active communication.
Prior History: (Effective: 9/30/2018
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 09/30/2023
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4730.07
Rule Amplifies: 4730.01, 4730.201, 4730.21
Prior Effective Dates: 10/31/2007)