(A) For purposes of this chapter of the Administrative Code:
(1) "Asynchronous instructional methods" means an educational technique in which the communication between parties does not take place simultaneously and in which students may access a prepared educational program electronically or by other means at a time of their own choosing rather than at a specified time;
(2) "Brick and mortar school" means an educational institution in which students and faculty are co-located during the entirety of the course of instruction.
(3) "Distance education" means an instructional delivery system in which students and teachers are in separate locations during at least half of the total number of hours offered during the course of study and in which education and training are delivered through video, audio, computer, multimedia communications or some combination of these with other traditional delivery methods;
(4) "Home study school" means a form of correspondence instruction through mail or e-mail in which the institution provides lesson materials for study and completion by a student on his or her own, with completed lessons being returned by the student to the school for evaluation by the school. "Home study school" shall not be considered a form of distance education.
(5) "Synchronous instructional methods" means an educational technique in which the communication between parties takes place simultaneously and in real-time.
(B) Each distance education program shall apply for and receive a separate certificate of good standing from the board prior to the students who have completed a course of instruction from that school being admitted to the licensure examination . A certificate of good standing held by a brick and mortar school shall not be sufficient for any distance learning program operated by that school.
(C) To be eligible to receive a certificate of good standing from the board , a distance education school or program shall submit evidence that complies with all of the following:
(1) Meet all of the requirements for receipt of a certificate of good standing required pursuant to Chapter 4731. of the Revised Code and this chapter of the Administrative Code;
(2) Have in place a procedure whereby applicants for a distance education course of instruction are assessed as to their psychological predisposition toward distance learning and their capabilities to use computer technologies appropriate to the particular course of study;
(3) Have in place a plan for on-line attendance and assessment of student performance;
(4) Require instructors, in addition to the requirements of rule 4731-1-17 of the Administrative Code, to have documented training or certification in the development of distance education course materials, curricula and instructional methods;
(5) Demonstrate possession of minimally sufficient technical resources to meet the requirements of this rule;
(6) Offer a mix of synchronous and asynchronous instruction and identify the number of clock hours required for each form of instruction;
(7) Of the required three hundred and twenty-five clock hours in massage theory and practical, require a minimum of two hundred hours of hands-on instruction in the limited branch theory and practical portion of the course of instruction.
(8) Of the minimum of twenty-five hours of instruction in ethics required in rules 4731-1-09 and 4731-1-16 of the Administrative Code, a minimum of ten hours shall be taught in a dedicated interactive manner during the hands-on instruction;
(9) Provide to all applicants an explanation of the types of delivery systems used in the distance education course of instruction, hardware and software requirements, whether the school will provide remedial technical training, and any other information the board deems appropriate.
(D) Home study schools are considered to be inappropriate for the education required to be given by limited branch schools. Therefore, any home study school is not in good standing with the board for purposes of admitting graduates from that school for examination for licensure in a limited branch of medicine or surgery.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 10/18/2011 and 01/24/2017
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4731.05 , 4731.15
Rule Amplifies: 4731.16 , 4731.19
Prior Effective Dates: 2/28/04