(A) As used in this chapter of the Administrative Code:
(1) "License" means the legal authorization issued by the board to practice medicine and surgery, osteopathic medicine and surgery, or podiatric medicine and surgery in Ohio.
(2) "Certificate of registration" means the document issued by the state medical board which evidences an individual's license to practice medicine and surgery, osteopathic medicine and surgery, or podiatry in Ohio during a specific registration period.
(3) "CME" means continuing medical education.
(5) "License reinstatement" means the return of a license which has lapsed or been in a suspended or inactive status for two years or less for any reason
(6) "License restoration" means the return of a license which has lapsed or been in a suspended or inactive status for more than two years for any reason.
(7) "Applicant" means an individual who seeks to attain a certificate of registration from the board.
(8) "Licensee" means a person who holds a current and valid license to practice medicine and surgery, osteopathic medicine and surgery, or podiatric medicine and surgery in Ohio.
(9) "CME period" means a period of two years in which every doctor of medicine, doctor of osteopathic medicine, and doctor of podiatric medicine licensed in Ohio must attain one hundred hours of CME to register their certificate as current and valid pursuant to section 4731.281 of the Revised Code, and this chapter of the Administrative Code
(10) "Registration period" means the period between granting of initial licensure or renewal and the next scheduled license renewal date.
(11) "Volunteer registration period" means a period of three years between the granting or renewal of a volunteer certificate and the next scheduled renewal date. Every doctor of medicine or doctor of osteopathic medicine holding a volunteer's certificate, shall be required to earn one hundred and fifty hours of CME to register their certificate as current and valid pursuant to sections 4731.295 and 4731.281 of the Revised Code and this chapter of the Administrative Code.
(12) "Board" means the state medical board of Ohio.
(13) "CME waiver" means a reduction of hours that may be granted by the board on an individual basis to those applicants who have been ill for more than six consecutive months or out of the United States for more than six consecutive months during the CME period.
(B) Action by the board refusing "license restoration" as that phrase is used in this chapter of the Administrative Code shall be deemed refusal to "register" or "reinstate" as such words are used in section 4731.22 of the Revised Code.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates:
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4731.295, 4731.281, 4731.05
Rule Amplifies: 4731.281, 4731.296, 4731.295, 4731.294, 4731.293, 4731.292, 4731.291, 4731.282
Prior Effective Dates: 05/16/1983, 10/31/1996, 03/10/1998 (Emer.), 07/20/1998, 02/28/2003
Prior History: (Eff 5-16-83;
10-31-96; 3-10-98 (Emer.); 7-20-98; 2-28-03
Rule promulgated under: RC 119.03
Rule authorized by: RC 4731.05, 4731.281, 4731.295
Rule amplifies: RC 4731.22, 4731.281, 4731.291, 4731.292, 4731.293, 4731.294, 4731.295 , 4731.296
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 11/18/2002 and 03/25/2006 )