(A) Scope. Every psychologist and every school psychologist subject to continuing education (CE) requirements as set forth in section 4732.141 of the Revised Code shall meet the requirements of that section.
(1) In accordance with the requirements of sections 4732.14 and 4732.141 of the Revised Code, it shall be the responsibility of each psychologist and each school psychologist submitting a biennial registration of license to certify to the board that the continuing education experience required for license renewal has been obtained. In accordance with section 4732.141(A) (3) of the Revised Code, the board shall accept as evidence of completion of continuing education requirements only documentation of fulfillment of those requirements from the Ohio Psychological Association or the Ohio School Psychologists Association. Each licensee shall maintain CE records for three years in accordance with division (E) of section 4732.141 of the Revised Code.
(2) In accordance with division (C) of section 4732.141 of the Revised Code, each psychologist and each school psychologist shall be given a sufficient choice of continuing education acceptable to the board to ensure that each person has had a reasonable opportunity to participate in continuing education that is relevant to that person's practice in terms of subject matter and level. This requirement shall be judged to be met so long as a licensed psychologist or a licensed school psychologist does not register a challenge and supply adequate documentation in writing to the board by March first of the year of required biennial registration. The board shall arrange for appropriate continuing education to be made available in case of a valid challenge.
(1) Hours to be applied toward the CE requirements shall represent actual time spent in continuing education that meets the requirements set forth in this rule.
(2) Any psychologist or any school psychologist shall be given credit, as defined in rule 4732-3-01 of the Administrative Code, for participation in any CE program or course that is not specifically disapproved by the board as provided for under paragraph (C)(5) of this rule and that is designated as acceptable by a relevant accrediting authority as specified in division (B)(1) of section 4732.141 of the Revised Code as meeting the following criteria:
(a) The program or course is presented within an organizational structure that assures accountable administrative control, accurate record of course participation/attendance, and professional responsibility for course design and implementation;
(c) Completion of the program or course is registered with the "Ohio Psychological Association" and/or the state board of education, in accordance with division (B)(2) of section 4732.141 of the Revised Code and with the implementational procedures that shall be negotiated annually between the board and the "Ohio Psychological Association" and the state board of education in conjunction with the "Ohio School Psychologists Association."
(3) Upon petition to the board by a psychologist or a school psychologist requesting to acquire qualifying CE hours by pursuing specific relevant knowledge or skills through continuing education that would not qualify under paragraph (C)(2) of this rule, the board, at its discretion and on a case-by-case basis, may grant CE credit for such work if it is deemed significantly relevant to the psychologist's or school psychologist's professional education.
(a) The petition, filed on a form prescribed by the board, shall contain documentation of the relevance of the CE requested.
(b) The number of hours of credit granted shall be determined by the board and need not match the number of hours of course work undertaken.
(c) The board shall notify the petitioner in writing of its approval or disapproval and of the steps the petitioner shall take to demonstrate completion of the continuing education if the petition is approved. The board's determination shall be binding.
(4) Those hours of credits recognized by the state board of education, as defined by contract in conjunction with the "Ohio School Psychologists Association" and/or the "Ohio Psychological Association" as meeting the CE requirements for any school psychologist certificate or license issued by the state board of education shall also qualify for hours for renewal of licenses issued by the state board of psychology
(5) In accordance with division (B)(2) of section 4732.141 of the Revised Code, the board may audit any activities submitted in satisfaction of the CE requirements and/or monitor any program approved by any authorized approving organization for CE credit, and may disallow such credit if the board determines that the offering is not in conformance with the standards of paragraph (C)(2) of this rule.
(a) The authorized approving organization shall be notified of any continuing education determined to be unacceptable by the board, as defined by contracts with the state board of education in conjunction with the "Ohio School Psychologists Association" and/or with the "Ohio Psychological Association," and shall be required to notify all registered participants of that continuing education of its unacceptability.
(b) If the board determines after March first of a license renewal year that any continuing education approved by an authorized approving organization and already completed by any licensee is unacceptable, then each licensed psychologist and each licensed school psychologist who has completed that continuing education and who proposes to use the hours to qualify for biennial registration shall be allowed until the end of the calendar year to complete the equivalent hours of qualifying continuing education credit. For such persons:
(i) The license shall not be suspended if all other requirements, including the remaining CE requirements are met by September thirtieth of a relevant renewal year and if any deficiency caused by the disqualification of the continuing education is corrected by the end of that calendar year.
(ii) Whatever hours are completed after August thirty-first of that year and are applied to correct such deficiency shall not count toward completion of CE requirements for the subsequent biennium.
(6) The board may from time to time, on its own initiative, approve continuing education. The board shall maintain a list of such approvals, which shall be available upon request (accompanied by a self-addressed envelope with first-class postage affixed) to the board office and shall be provided to the "Ohio Psychological Association" and the state board of education, in conjunction with the "Ohio School Psychologists Association," so that completion of such continuing education may be entered into the licensee's record of CE hours maintained by those organizations.
(7) It shall be the responsibility of the authorized approving organization to assure that all registered attendees are notified, at the time of the continuing education or as soon thereafter as any disapproval notice may be received from the board, or be in accord with the contract with the state board of education, the "Ohio School Psychologists Association" and/or the "Ohio Psychological Association," of the approval or disapproval status of the continuing education. Notwithstanding this responsibility of the authorized approving organization, it shall be the responsibility of each psychologist and each school psychologist to complete the necessary number of approved hours of CE, whether or not the psychologist or school psychologist is correctly notified of the unacceptability of any disapproved continuing education.
(8) Failure to meet CE requirements or failure to have verification of the necessary CE hours sent to the board by August thirty-first of any relevant renewal year may result in automatic suspension of license on September thirtieth of that year, pursuant to rule 4732-1-06 of the Administrative Code, except in a case described in paragraph (C)(5) or (C)(10) of this rule. If reinstatement is desired, such individual shall be required to submit a formal request for reinstatement of licensure.
(9) If an applicant for licensure is licensed during the first year of the biennial renewal period, the psychologist or school psychologist is required to complete thirteen hours of continuing education for that biennial renewal period, including not less than three hours of continuing education in professional conduct and ethics. If an applicant is licensed during the first three months of the second year of the biennial renewal period, the psychologist or school psychologist is exempt from meeting the CE requirements for that biennial period. If an applicant is licensed during the last nine months of the second year of the biennial renewal period and is, therefore, not subject to renewal that same year, he/she is required to complete twenty-three hours of CE to renew in the next renewal year.
(10) Pursuant to division (F) of section 4732.141 of the Revised Code and on written petition by a licensee setting forth convincing and compelling reason because of an unusual circumstance, emergency, or special hardship, the board may excuse all or any part of the petitioner's CE requirements, may set conditions for excusing such requirements, and may require the licensee to make up CE requirements. Board approval of any such arrangement shall be made in writing, shall be communicated promptly to the petitioner, and shall be inserted into the petitioner's board record. The deadline for requesting the board to excuse all or any part of CE requirements is August first of the relevant renewal year.
(11) Falsification of written evidence submitted to the board or failure to respond to an audit request regarding continuing education experience shall constitute fraud, misrepresentation, and deception, as defined in paragraph (A)(2) of rule 4732-17-03 of the Administrative Code, and shall be considered grounds for disciplinary action.