Chapter 4736-1 Definitions
(A) "Accredited educational institution" means an academic institution of higher learning which is currently accredited by at least one of the following or recognized as in paragraph (A)(7) of this rule:
(1) "Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Higher Education";
(2) "New England Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Institutions of Higher Education";
(3) "North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Institutions of Higher Education";
(4) "Northwest Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on colleges";
(5) "Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges";
(6) "Western Association of Colleges and Schools, Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities";
(7) An educational institution outside of the United States of America that is recognized by the ministry of education of the country in which the institution is located provided that the baccalaureate degree granted by the institution is the result of at least a total of sixteen academic years of formal preparation which includes primary, secondary and higher education.
(B) "Administration" means conducting activities such as, but not limited to, supervision, direction, enforcement, planning, monitoring and evaluation of environmental health programs, specified in division (E) of section 4736.01 of the Revised Code, when those duties comprise more than fifty percent of the designated duties of a position.
(C) "Approved training agency" means an accredited educational institution or affiliate, governmental agency, nongovernmental agency, professional society, association, or organization which has approval from the state board of sanitarian registration to offer continuing education.
(E) "Continuing education" means courses or programs in subjects relating to improving the practice of the sanitarian profession, or courses or programs in the utilization, administration and application of new techniques, scientific advancements, and/or research findings in environmental health science.
(F) "Course of study or program of instruction" means any continuing education activity conducted by a training agency in the subject area of environmental health science.
(G) "Environmental health science" means the aspect of public health science that includes, but is not limited to, the following bodies of knowledge: air quality, food quality and protection, hazardous and toxic substances, consumer product safety, housing, institutional health and safety, community noise control, radiation protection, recreational facilities, solid and liquid waste management, vector control, drinking water quality, milk sanitation and rabies control. Environmental health science does not include the activities of any person who is otherwise licensed by the state of Ohio and who is acting within the lawful scope of the individual's licensed profession.
(I) "Full-time employment" means filling a full-time position as characterized by one's employer or employers, an accumulation of two thousand eighty hours, or a period of employment with cumulative total hours that are equivalent to the employer or employers full-time position.
(J) "Inspection" means activities requiring specialized knowledge and skills in the field of environmental health science, performed by an individual required to be registered in accordance with Chapter 4736. of the Revised Code. Such activities shall include but not be limited to examination and evaluation.
(L) "Registered sanitarian" means a person who is registered as a sanitarian in accordance with Chapter 4736. of the Revised Code.
(M) "Sanitarian" means a person who performs, for compensation, educational, investigational, technical, or administrative duties requiring specialized knowledge and skills in the field of environmental health science.
(N) "Sanitarian-in-training" means a person who is registered as a sanitarian-in-training in accordance with Chapter 4736. of the Revised Code.
(O) "Training agency" means a governmental agency, nongovernmental agency, professional society, association or organization offering board approved continuing education courses for continuing education credit.
119.032 review dates:
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4736.03
Rule Amplifies: 4736.01
Prior Effective Dates: 5/1/2009, 11/1/2005, 8/1/2004, 10/1/1999, 2/1/1992, 9/15/1989, 10/30/1978