Chapter 4736-11 Certification of Registration; Continuing Education
(A) Within sixty days following the applicant's meeting the requirements and, when applicable, passing the examination given by the board for registration, the appropriate certificate shall be issued by the board.
(C) As used in rules in Chapter 4736-11 of the Administrative Code, registrant or registrants means registered sanitarian or registered sanitarian in training.
(A) Certificates of attendance at continuing education courses or other substantiating documentation must be submitted by registrants at the same time as and be attached to the application for renewal of registration. No documents will be returned.
(B) It is the sole responsibility of the registrant to assure that required evidence of meeting continuing education requirements is submitted to the board on forms prescribed and furnished by the board.
(C) Any person falsifying information pertaining to completion of continuing education requirements will be subject to revocation of the certificate of registration.
(A) Registrants must complete eighteen clock hours of board approved continuing education courses each year to be eligible to renew their certificate of registration.
(B) Courses of study or programs of instruction offered to meet the continuing education requirements for the annual renewal of an individuals certificate of registration shall be board approved and in the following subject areas:
(1) Diseases and injuries caused by environmental factors and the applicable prevention techniques.
(2) Administrative law and process.
(3) The utilization of resources in the collection, arrangement, and interpretation of data.
(4) Environmental health administration.
(5) New or substantially revised environmental health laws, rules and process.
(6) Functional fields of environmental health to include air quality, food quality and protection, hazardous and toxic substances, consumer product safety, housing, institutional health and safety, community noise control, radiation protection, bioterrorism, recreational facilities, solid, infectious and liquid waste management, vector control, drinking water quality, milk sanitation, rabies control, land use and occupational health and safety.
(7) Environmental health planning or emergency preparedness.
(8) Communication skills.
(9) Organization or program management courses.
(10) Computer skills development and functional utilization.
(C) Courses of study or programs of instruction offered in the following areas or formats are not applicable continuing education activities and will not be approved by the board to meet the continuing education requirements for annual renewal of an individuals certificate of registration:
(1) First aid.
(3) Defensive driving.
(4) Courses of self instruction/self study.
(5) Courses dealing with proposed environmental health laws, rules and processes.
(6) Any other continuing education material deemed not applicable by the board.
(D) The board may waive continuing education hours in cases of a registrant's certified disability or illness which prevents the attendance at any qualified educational seminars during the twelve months immediately preceding the annual certificate of registration renewal date. Continuing education waivers will be determined on a case by case basis. Waivers shall not be granted for a period in excess of three consecutive renewal periods.
(A) To register as an approved training agency, the agency shall make application on a form prescribed by the board, and include a fee of fifty-four dollars. The fee is non-refundable. A training agency must be a board approved training agency before submitting requests to conduct continuing education activities for registrants.
(B) The board shall maintain a current listing of any approved training agency that provides continuing education for registrants.
(C) The board shall respond to all requests for approval and registration as a training agency within sixty days of receipt.
(D) To be considered for approval as a training agency, the training agency must submit a fifty-four dollar fee, and provide the following information to the board on forms prescribed by the board:
(1) Name, address, and telephone number of training agency;
(2) A description of the purpose of the agency;
(3) Name of continuing education coordinator;
(5) Information indicating whether or not the training agency is accredited and by whom;
(6) A description of the physical facilities, instructional materials, courses, and instructional staff used in continuing education programs by the training agency;
(7) A description of educational benefits to be derived by registrants taking continuing education programs offered by the training agency and the type of training as provided in rule 4736-11-04 of the Administrative Code.
(8) Information indicating that the training agency will monitor attendance and provide evidence of attendance to attendees and the board; and/or
(9) Other information the board deems necessary.
(E) Approved training agency status shall expire on December thirty-first of each year unless renewed by submitting an application for renewal of approved training agency status and the renewal fee of twenty-seven dollars. The date for such application shall be no more than sixty days before the annual expiration date.
(F) The board may audit or monitor courses given by an approved training agency.
(G) The board may deny, refuse to renew, suspend, or revoke approved training agency status for dissemination of false information in connection with the continuing education programs or failure to conform to rules 4736-11-04, 4736-11-05, and/or 4736-11-06 of the Administrative Code.
119.032 review dates:
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4736.03, 4736.12
Rule Amplifies: 4736.11, 4736.12
Prior Effective Dates: 10/30/78, 9/15/89, 10/1/99, 7/1/01, 8/1/04, 5/1/08
(A) A course of study or program of instruction offered for continuing education purposes by an approved training agency shall be submitted to the board at least thirty days prior to the date of the course or program on forms prescribed and furnished by the board. A course of study or program submitted after course or program completion shall not be considered for approval except as provided in paragraph (A) of rule 4736-11-07 of the Administrative Code.
(B) An approved training agency offering a course of study or program of instruction to apply toward the annual continuing education requirements for registration must provide the following information to be considered for approval by the board on forms prescribed and furnished by the board:
(1) The educational objectives of the program or course;
(2) The content of the program or course;
(3) The number of educational hours involved in the program or course;
(4) The names and qualifications of instructors;
(5) Verification that course attendance was properly monitored; and
(6) Verification that the approved training agency will provide the board with a list of attendees within forty-five days of completion of the course.
(C) All courses of study of programs of instruction shall be submitted on an annual basis. All approvals are valid for one year from the date of issue.
(A) Those registered who attend a continuing education course which has not been approved by the board may request within sixty days of completion of the course that the course be approved for continuing education credit using forms prescribed and furnished by the board.
(B) For the board to consider a request to approve continuing education credit under this rule, the registrant must submit documentation satisfactory to the board that the course meets the requirements of rule 4736-11-04 of the Administrative Code.
(C) The board shall respond to all requests received under this rule within sixty days of receipt.
The secretary shall upon the request of a registrant provide a list of any course that the board has approved. A listing of all approved training agencies and approved courses shall be posted electronically on the board's website at http://sanitarian.ohio.gov and updated following each board meeting as required.