Pursuant to the requirements of division (B)(2) of section 1347.15 of the Revised Code, this rule contains a list of valid reasons, directly related to the sanitarian registration board's exercise of its powers or duties, for which only employees of the agency may access confidential personal information (CPI) regardless of whether the personal information system is a manual system or computer system:
(A) Performing the following functions constitute valid reasons for authorized employees of the agency to access confidential personal information:
(1) Responding to a public records request;
(2) Responding to a request from an individual for the list of CPI the agency maintains on that individual;
(3) Administering a constitutional provision or duty;
(4) Administering a statutory provision or duty;
(5) Administering an administrative rule provision or duty;
(6) Complying with any state or federal program requirements;
(7) Processing or payment of claims or otherwise administering a program with individual participants or beneficiaries;
(8) Auditing purposes;
(9) Licensure [or permit, eligibility, filing, etc.] processes;
(10) Investigation or law enforcement purposes;
(11) Administrative hearings;
(12) Litigation, complying with an order of the court, or subpoena;
(13) Human resource matters (e.g., hiring, promotion, demotion, discharge, salary/compensation issues, leave requests/issues, time card approvals/issues);
(14) Complying with an executive order or policy;
(15) Complying with an agency policy or a state administrative policy issued by the department of administrative services, the office of budget and management or other similar state agency; or
(16) Complying with a collective bargaining agreement provision; or
(17) Supervising the work of another employee.
(B) To the extent that the general processes described in paragraph (A) of this rule do not cover the following circumstances, for the purpose of carrying out specific duties of the Ohio sanitarian registration board, authorized employees would also have valid reasons for accessing CPI in these following circumstances:
(1) Employees of the state agency may review CPI of individuals who are subject to investigation for alleged misconduct that may result in registration discipline. Such employees may review CPI of individuals who are not the subject of the investigation, but who otherwise may be witnesses with information related to the investigation. CPI may be reviewed by such employees and members of the board in professional conduct matters that become the subject of administrative hearings.
(2) Authorized employees of the state agency may review CPI of persons who hold, are applying for, or are renewing a registration issued by the board for the purposes of verifying licensure, processing licensure and renewal applications, determining eligibility for licensure, performing financial transactions and reporting related to application processing, or any other activities undertaken for the purpose of carrying out that program.
(3) Employees assigned to fiscal and human resource positions may review CPI of vendors billing the board for services rendered and employees of the board for payroll and other human resource activities for the purpose of carrying out the board's daily activities.
Cite as Ohio Admin. Code 4736-16-03