Chapter 4736-17 Military and Veterans
(A) Definition & eligibility for registration.
"Veteran" means any person who has completed service in the armed forces, including the national guard of any state, or a reserve component of the armed forces, who has been discharged under honorable conditions from the armed forces or who has been transferred to the reserve with evidence of satisfactory service.
In accordance with section 5903.03 of the Revised Code, a veteran or member of the armed forces may submit documentation for the board's consideration to demonstrate that the applicant's military education, training and/or service is substantially equivalent to the educational and/or experience requirements for registration as a sanitarian or sanitarian in training.
(B) License renewal.
(1) In accordance with section 5903.10 of the Revised Code, a registrant whose registration expired due to their service in the armed forces of the United States or a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States, including the Ohio national guard or the national guard of any other state, shall be eligible for renewal of the expired registration in accordance with section 4736.11 of the Revised Code and rules 4736-12-01 and 4736-12-02 of the Administrative Code, if the following conditions are met:
(a) The registrant presents the board with satisfactory evidence that, not more than six months prior to the date the evidence is submitted to the board, the registrant was honorably discharged or separated under honorable conditions;
(2) The provisions of this paragraph of this rule also apply if the registrants spouse served in the armed forces of the United States or a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States, including the Ohio national guard or the national guard of any other state and the spouse's service resulted in the registrants absence from this state.
(C) Continuing education.
(1) In accordance with section 5903.12 of the Revised Code, the provisions of this paragraph apply to a registrant who has been a member of the armed forces of the United States, the Ohio national guard, the Ohio military reserve, the Ohio naval militia, the national guard of any other state, or a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States who has served on active duty for a period in excess of thirty-one days.
(2) A registrant who meets the provisions contained in paragraph (C)(1) of this rule may submit an application to the Board requesting an extension of the current continuing education reporting period.
(a) The registrant shall submit proper documentation certifying the active duty service and the length of that active duty service.
(b) Upon receiving the application and proper documentation, the board shall extend the current continuing education reporting period by an amount of time equal to the total number of months that the licensee spent on active duty during the current continuing education reporting period. Any portion of a month served shall be considered one full month.
(D) Temporary registration.
(1) An individual whose spouse is on active military duty in this state may apply for a temporary registration to practice as a sanitarian in training or sanitarian in accordance with sections 4736.08, 4736.09 and 4736.12 of the Revised Code. The applicant shall submit the following items for consideration by the board:
(a) A completed application for temporary registration.
(b) Application fee in the amount prescribed in section 4736.12 of the Revised Code.
(c) Official copy of the applicants college or university transcripts demonstrating at least the award of a baccalaureate degree, including at least forty-five quarter units or thirty semester units of science courses approved by the board.
(d) If applicable, official copy of the applicant's examination score report from Professional Examination Services (PES) or the National Environmental Health Association (NEHA) demonstrating at least a seventy percent passage, in accordance with rule 4736-9-03 of the Administrative Code.
(e) Verification from all states in which the applicant currently holds or has ever held registration or licensure as a sanitarian in training or sanitarian.
(2) Upon receipt of all required documents the registrant will be issued, within five business days, registration to practice environmental health in Ohio.
(3) The holder of a temporary registration must abide by chapter 4736. of the Revised and Administrative Codes.
(4) All temporary registrations will be valid for a period not to exceed six months. Upon the granting of a temporary registration all temporary registration holders must apply for permanent registration using the standard application, which will be presented to the board at the regularly scheduled meetings.
(1) In accordance with section 5903.10 of the revised code, the holder of a lapsed registration may be reinstated without a penalty fee if not otherwise disqualified because of mental or physical disability if either of the following applies:
(a) The registrant was not renewed because of the holder's service in the armed forces of the United States or a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States, including the Ohio national guard or the national guard of any state.
(b) The registrant was not renewed because the registrant holder's spouse served in the armed forces of the United States or a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States, including the Ohio national guard or the national guard of any state and the service resulted in the holder's absence from this state.
(2) Reinstatement without penalty fee shall not be granted unless the licensee or licensee's spouse, whichever is applicable, has presented satisfactory evidence of the service member's discharge under honorable conditions or release under honorable conditions from active duty or national guard duty within six months after the discharge or release.
(3) Registrants shall abide by the applicable continuing education outlined in rule 4736-11-03 of the administrative code unless the applicant submits evidence of the requirements outlined in paragraph (C) of this rule.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 05/15/2019
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4736.03
Rule Amplifies: 4736.08, 4736.09, 4736.10, 4736.11, 4736.12, 4736.13, 4736.14, 4736.15