(A) Eligibility for licensee.
In accordance with section 5903. of the Revised Code, the board has determined that there are no military programs of training, military specialties and lengths of service that are substantially equivalent to or which exceed the educational and supervised training requirements for licensure as a veterinarian or a registered veterinary technician.
(B) Definitions related to military service and veteran status.
(1) "Military" in accordance with division (A) of section 5903.03 of the Revised Code, means the armed forces of the United States or a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States, including the Ohio national guard of the national guard of any other state.
(2) "Member" means any person who is serving in the military.
(3) "Veteran" means any person who has completed service in the military and who has been discharged under honorable conditions, or who has been transferred to the reserve with evidence of satisfactory service.
(C) License renewal
(1) Veterinarians or registered veterinary technicians serving in the military shall be exempted from the biennial renewal fee provided written documentation is submitted to the board office evidencing that said licensee is on active duty in the military. Upon receipt of said documentation and submission of the required continuing education hours, the board shall waive the biennial fee and a certificate of renewal shall be issued to the licensee/registrant.
(2) Those licensees/registrants who had been actively engaged in the military during the biennial period and submitted satisfactory evidence to the board of honorable discharge or separation under honorable conditions shall be exempt from the biennial renewal fee for that biennium.
(3) The licensee/registrant may submit an application to the board, stating that the licensee/registrant requires an extension of the current continuing education reporting period because the licensee/registrant has served on active duty during the current or a prior reporting period. The licensee shall submit proper documentation certifying the active duty service and the length of the active duty. Upon receiving the application and proper documentation, the board shall extend the current reporting period by an amount of time equal to the total number of months that the licensee/registrant spent on active duty during the current reporting period. For purposes of this rule, any portion of a month served on active duty shall be considered on full month.
(4) The board shall consider relevant education, training, or service completed by a licensee/registrant as a member of the armed forces of the United States or reserve components thereof, the Ohio national guard, the Ohio military reserve, the Ohio naval militia, or the national guard of any other state in determining whether a licensee/registrant has fulfilled required continuing education.
Prior History: (Effective: 2/1/2015
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 11/05/2019
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4741.03(C)(9)
Rule Amplifies: 4741.17
Prior Effective Dates: 5/22/1996)