(A) Responsibility for filing and paying renewals shall rest with the licensee or permit holder.
(B) With respect to trainee permits and their renewal:
(1) Responsibility for renewing the trainee permit rests with the trainee and the trainee's supervisor or employer. Application for renewal of a trainee permit must be made to the board prior to the expiration date shown on the permit.
(2) There shall be a thirty-day period immediately following the expiration date shown on the trainee permit in which that permit may be renewed, which period applies to the time in which an application for trainee permit renewal may be made once. It does not authorize a trainee whose permit has expired to engage in any way in the fitting and sale of hearing aids after the expiration date shown on his permit. If renewal is not effected within this thirty-day period, a new trainee permit must be obtained by submitting a new trainee permit application, a physician's statement, and the prescribed fee to the board.
(C) Continuing education units
(1) A licensee shall earn ten continuing education units, including one unit in ethics or Ohio state law, each year preceding the licensee's renewal application. One continuing education unit is equal to one clock hour of continuing education. The continuing education units must be acquired in subjects related to hearing aid fitting or audiology.
(2) Sixty days prior to the deadline for licensure renewal all licensees shall be notified by the board of the requirements to renew the license and submit the necessary forms for continuing education units
(3) Upon fulfillment of all legal requirements for renewal, including the signed renewal application form or via the Ohio eLicense system attesting to the completion of required continuing education units, all licensees shall receive renewal of licensure .
(4) All licensees shall complete the required continuing education units prior to January thirtieth of the renewal year.
(5) Continuing education units may not be carried over from one renewal period to the next.
(6) At the discretion of the board, the continuing education requirements for an individual, may be reduced or waived, under unusual circumstances such as medical emergencies, natural disasters, or conditions outside the control of the licensee.
(D) Continuing education programs
(1) Continuing education units may be earned in the following continuing education experiences:
(a) Academic coursework in audiology, or related disciplines, taken at accredited colleges or universities;
(b) Any activity approved for continuing education units in related disciplines by any licensure board of the state of Ohio.
(c) Any activity approved for continuing education units by the international institute of hearing instruments sciences committee of the international hearing society; the American speech-language hearing association; or the American academy of audiology.
(E) Documentation of continuing education units:
(1) The licensee shall sign and submit to the board a form or via the Ohio eLicense system attesting to completion of require continuing education units at the time of license renewal.
(a) The licensee shall retain supporting documents for inspection by the board for two years after the date of renewal.
(b) A licensee who submits the renewal form after February first shall be audited for continuing education units.
(2) Licensees to be audited shall receive notification of audit from the board. The licensee being audited shall submit to the board the report of continuing education units license renewal form along with appropriate documentation.
(3) Submission of false statement of continuing education shall be considered procuring a license by fraud or deceit practiced upon the board pursuant to division (B) of section 4747.12 of the Revised Code.
(4) Failure to meet continuing education requirements, or to comply with the audit, upon request of the board, may result in suspension, revocation, denial of licensure or renewal of licensure according to the provisions of Chapter 119. of the Revised Code.
(F) Renewal requirements:
(1) A hearing aid dealer or fitter may apply for renewal of an expired license if the license has been expired for two years or less. The board shall issue the license if the hearing aid dealer or fitter:
(a) Submits documentation of completion of continuing education units required for each year the license was expired, not to exceed twenty hours, and
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 03/27/2017 and 03/15/2022
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4747.04
Rule Amplifies: 4747.06
Prior Effective Dates: 11/16/71, 2/1/1977, 2/15/97, 2/1/09