(A) The board may authorize any educational institution or affiliate or other training agency for continuing education to provide the educational requirements of Chapter 4751. of the Revised Code and this chapter.
Any educational institution or affiliate, if authorized, shall be registered with the board for the purpose of offering any course of study or program of instruction deemed sufficient to meet the education and training requirements for the purpose of qualifying applicants for licensure as nursing home administrators or for the renewal of registration of licenses as nursing home administrators.
All training agencies shall individually apply to the board on BELTSS form E-1 and, if approved, be registered by the board.
(B) There are three categories of continuing education training agencies:
(1) Preferred: A continuing education training agency that has been certified for at least one year and offers at least fifty courses per year.
(2) Certified: A continuing education training agency that is an accredited college or university; a statewide or national government agency relating to nursing home administration; or, a statewide, national association, or professional society relating to nursing home administration.
(3) Limited: A continuing education training agency that is not affiliated with colleges, universities, government agencies, or associations, but offers continuing education programs for no more than six credit hours per course and notifies participants that it has a limited training agency status.
(C) Pre-licensure education: Courses of study or programs of instruction offered for the purposes of general educational requirements, as set forth in paragraph (A)(4) of rule 4751-1-05 of the Administrative Code, and for the special academic requirements in health care administration, as set forth in paragraph (A)(5) of rule 4751-1-05 of the Administrative Code, shall be deemed acceptable for such purposes, provided that:
(1) The courses of study and programs of instruction in general education are offered for academic credit by an accredited educational institution, as defined in rule 4751-1-02 of the Administrative Code.
(2) The special courses of study or programs of instruction in health care administration shall at least cover the subject areas set forth in the core of knowledge in nursing home administration, as outlined in rule 4751-1-06 of the Administrative Code; course content need not be limited to these subject areas; these courses and programs shall be approved by the board.
(3) If academic credit is not offered, such course of study or program of instruction is within the jurisdiction of an academic department of an accredited educational institution.
(D) Continuing education: Courses of study or programs of instruction offered to meet the educational requirements for annual renewal of the certificate of registration of the nursing home administrator license shall be in the subject areas of the core of knowledge in nursing home administration, as outlined in rule 4751-1-06 of the Administrative Code, and shall be one of the following:
(1) An accredited educational institution's for-credit courses, non-credit courses, and non-degree programs.
(2) Courses or programs of which the board approves that are offered by educational institutions other than accredited educational institutions;
(E) Training agency courses of study or programs of instruction offered for continuing education purposes on a non-academic credit basis shall be submitted to the board for approval at least sixty days before the anticipated date of registration for the course or program; such submittal shall be on BELTSS form E-2 and, if necessary, the sixty-day waiver request form and shall provide thereon all required information. The board may grant a variance to the time frame for submittal upon a showing that a recent change in state or federal regulatory requirements affecting the nursing home industry necessitates prompt approval of the course of study or program of instruction so that nursing home administrators may receive timely information concerning compliance with the requirements.
(F) Definitions for this rule:
"BELTSS form E-1" means "BELTSS Form E-1 ('Application for Registration as a Provider of Continuing Education Courses') (Rev., September, 2014)."
"BELTSS form E-2" means "BELTSS Form E-2 ('Application for Approval of Continuing Education Courses') (Rev., September, 2014)."
"Sixty-day waiver request form" means "'60-Day Waiver Request Form' (September, 2013)."
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 06/01/2020
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4751.04 ; Section 1902(c)(1) of the Social Security Act, 42 U.S.C. 1396g; 42 C.F.R. 431.707 (October, 2014 edition)
Rule Amplifies: 4751.04 ; Section 1902(c)(2) of the Social Security Act, 42 U.S.C. 1396g; 42 C.F.R. 431.707, 431.714 (October, 2014 edition)
Prior Effective Dates: 04/22/1986, 06/14/1989 (Emer.), 09/22/1989, 07/24/2011