(A) The board may authorize any educational institution or affiliate or other training agency for continuing education to provide the educational requirements of Chapter 4751. of the Revised Code and this chapter.
Any educational institution affiliate, or other training agency, if authorized, shall be registered with the board for the purpose of offering any course of study or program of instruction deemed sufficient to meet the education and training requirements for the purpose of qualifying applicants for licensure as nursing home administrators or for the renewal of registration of licenses as nursing home administrators.
All training agencies shall individually apply to the board on BELTSS form E-1 and, if approved, be registered by the board.
(B) There are two categories of continuing education training agencies:
(1) Preferred: A continuing education training agency that has been certified for at least three years and offers at least fifty courses per year.
(2) Certified: A continuing education training agency that is an accredited college or university; a statewide or national government agency relating to nursing home administration; a statewide, national association, or professional society relating to nursing home administration; or, a society, organization, or individual having a specific and primary educational focus on long-term services and supports administration education..
(C) The fee structure for providers is as follows:
(a) An annual fee of seven hundred fifty dollars.
(b) Biennial renewal fee of one hundred fifty dollars upon submission of renewal paperwork. This is in addition to the annual fee.
(a) Initial application fee of two hundred fifty dollars.
(b) Biennial renewal fee of one hundred fifty dollars upon submission of renewal paperwork.
(c) A fee of fifteen dollars per continuing education hour or partial hour reviewed.
(3) Preferred and certified:
(a) For certified providers, courses submitted fewer than sixty days of the course date, including multiple site or date courses, will be charged a one hundred fifty dollar late fee and must submit a waiver request. Requests will be reviewed and may not be granted. Preferred providers are exempt from this requirement.
(b) For certified providers, the same course multiple site or date approval fee within current year: ten dollars per site/date. Preferred providers are exempt from this requirement.
(c) Fees must be paid prior to agencies receiving a course approval number. Fees are non-refundable, even if courses are not approved. Incomplete applications will be returned. Adjustments to continuing education training agency categories will not be made in order to change or avoid fees. Fees may be adjusted at the board's discretion via the rule revision process. Fees are waived for state government agencies.
(D) The board's continuing education committee shall evaluate all provider applications. The board shall notify applicants of their provider approval status.
(E) The board's continuing education committee shall evaluate all continuing education programs. The board shall notify applicants of their provider approval status.
(F) Pre-licensure education: Courses of study or programs of instruction offered for the purposes of general educational requirements, as set forth in paragraph (A)(4) of rule 4751-1-05 of the Administrative Code, and for the special academic requirements in health care administration, as set forth in paragraph (A)(5) of rule 4751-1-05 of the Administrative Code, shall be deemed acceptable for such purposes, provided that:
(1) The courses of study and programs of instruction in general education are offered for academic credit by an accredited educational institution, as defined in rule 4751-1-02 of the Administrative Code.
(2) The special courses of study or programs of instruction in health care administration shall at least cover the subject areas set forth in the core of knowledge in nursing home administration, as outlined in rule 4751-1-06 of the Administrative Code; course content need not be limited to these subject areas; these courses and programs shall be approved by the board.
(3) If academic credit is not offered, such course of study or program of instruction is within the jurisdiction of an academic department of an accredited educational institution.
(G) Continuing education: Courses of study or programs of instruction offered to meet the educational requirements for annual renewal of the certificate of registration of the nursing home administrator license shall be in the subject areas of the core of knowledge in nursing home administration, as outlined in rule 4751-1-06 of the Administrative Code, and shall be one of the following:
(1) An accredited educational institution's for-credit courses, non-credit courses, and non-degree programs.
(2) Courses or programs of which the board approves that are offered by educational institutions other than accredited educational institutions;
(3) Courses or programs provided by approved training agencies for continuing education, as defined in rule 4751-1-02 of the Administrative Code.
(H) Training agency courses of study or programs of instruction offered for continuing education purposes on a non-academic credit basis shall be submitted to the board for approval at least sixty calendar days before the anticipated date of registration for the course or program; such submittal shall be on BELTSS form E-2 and, if necessary, the sixty-day waiver request form and shall provide thereon all required information. The board may grant a variance to the time frame for submittal upon a showing that a recent change in state or federal regulatory requirements affecting the nursing home industry necessitates prompt approval of the course of study or program of instruction so that nursing home administrators may receive timely information concerning compliance with the requirements.
(I) Definitions for this rule:
"BELTSS form E-1" means "BELTSS Form E-1 ('Application for Registration as a Provider of Continuing Education Courses') (Rev., July, 2015)."
"BELTSS form E-2" means "BELTSS Form E-2 ('Application for Approval of Continuing Education Courses') (Rev., July, 2015)."
"Sixty-day waiver request form" means "'60-Day Waiver Request Form' (Rev., July, 2015)."
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 11/30/2018 and 02/17/2024
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4751.04 ; 42 U.S.C. 1396g(c)(1); 42 C.F.R. 431.707
Rule Amplifies: 4751.04 , 4751.043, 4751.044 ; 42 U.S.C. 1396g(c); 42 C.F.R. 431.707, 431.708, 431.714
Prior Effective Dates: 04/22/1986, 06/14/1989 (Emer.), 09/22/1989, 07/24/2011, 06/01/2015, 04/16/2018