Chapter 4753-10 Speech-language Pathology Student Permits
To be eligible for a speech-language pathology student permit, an applicant must have met the following:
(A) He/she has completed one year (three semesters or four quarters) of study in a speech-language pathology graduate program at an Ohio college or university. The appropriate course work must be consistent with the population to be served and work setting to which the student will be assigned.
(B) He/she has completed no less than twenty-five hours of observation and seventy-five hours of student clinical experience to be consistent with the population to be served and work setting. Competencies must be demonstrated and documented with the population to be served and work setting to which the student will be assigned.
Cite as Ohio Admin. Code 4753-10-01
(A) The Ohio college or university speech-language pathology program designee will recommend the applicant for the speech-language pathology student permit.
(B) The Ohio college or university speech-language pathology program designee will attest to the applicant's completion of one year of graduate study in speech-language pathology, twenty-five hours of observation and seventy-five hours or more of clinical experience.
(C) The Ohio college or university speech-language pathology graduate program designee will recommend the practice setting for the applicant's speech-language pathology student permit.
Cite as Ohio Admin. Code 4753-10-02
(A) The speech-language pathology student permit holder will be supervised by a speech-language pathologist licensed in Ohio, and under the direction of the college or university graduate program of the speech-language pathology student permit holder.
(B) In order to supervise a student permit holder, a supervisor shall hold a current Ohio license in speech-language pathology and have at least twenty-four months of full time clinical experience or the equivalent within the last sixty months under a valid license as a speech-language pathologist or certification by the American-speech language hearing association.
(C) Supervision of the speech-language pathology student permit holder will be detailed in the student permit plan.
(D) Credit for student clinical experience may be granted when supervision is conducted in accordance with requirements of the American speech-language-hearing association and this board. Minimum supervision of the student permit holder will consist of twenty-five per cent direct supervision of treatment activities and must be in real time and must never be less than twenty-five per cent of the student permit holder's total contact with each client or patient and must take place periodically throughout the experience. The supervisor will be accessible to the student permit holder during all client contact.
(E) No supervisor of persons holding a student permit may supervise more than one student permit holder unless approved by the board.
Cite as Ohio Admin. Code 4753-10-03
(A) All applications for a speech-language pathology student permit shall be submitted to the board at its principal office on forms prescribed by the board. The submitted application shall be typewritten or printed in ink.
(1) Submission of the application shall certify that all statements are true and complete.
(2) A photograph of the applicant shall appear in the space provided upon the hard copy application form. It shall be an unretouched, passport size photograph taken within six months of the date of application, and the face shall be portrayed not less than three-fourths inch width.
(3) All applications must be accompanied by a non-refundable fee of fifty dollars, which is to be paid at the time the application is filed with the board.
(4) All applications, evidence, statements and documents shall be retained by the board.
(5) All applications must have the signature of the college or university designee.
(6) All applications must include documentation verifying the applicant's completion of one year of graduate study in speech-language pathology and twenty-five hours of observation and seventy-five hours or more of clinical experience signed by the college or university designee.
(7) The plan for the speech-language pathology student permit holder will include:
(a) The practice setting for the speech-language pathology student permit holder.
(b) The signature and license number of the supervisor for the speech-language pathology student permit applicant.
(c) The frequency, method and scope of supervision.
(B) Any change in supervision or practice setting will require a new application and plan. The student permit holder will not practice until a new application and plan has been approved by the board.
(C) A student permit holder may apply for a one year extension of the permit by providing the following:
(1) A statement of the reason for extension for the student permit.
(2) Completion of a second student permit application and plan.
Cite as Ohio Admin. Code 4753-10-04
The Ohio university or college program designee will determine the maximum case load of the student permit holder based upon the student permit holder's demonstrated and documented clinical abilities. The student permit holder will be limited to no more than fifty cases.
Cite as Ohio Admin. Code 4753-10-05
(A) Each applicant who is approved for a speech-language pathology student permit shall receive a certificate for office display. All permit holders shall display their certificate in a conspicuous place where the permit holder practices.
(B) Each student permit holder shall wear identification indicating status as a "student permit holder.
(C) Any signature on documents must indicate "student permit holder status."
Cite as Ohio Admin. Code 4753-10-06