Chapter 4755-45 Continuing Education
(A) Pursuant to section 4755.63 of the Revised Code, to renew an athletic trainers license, licensees shall complete:
(1) Not less than twenty-five hours of continuing education that meet the requirements of this rule; and
(2) At least one contact hour of ethics education per renewal cycle. The one hour ethics requirement shall be fulfilled by completing an acceptable activity outlined in paragraph (C) of this rule that contains at least one hour addressing professional ethics. In addition, any presentation by the athletic trainers section meets the ethics requirement.
(3) If the license was valid for a period of twelve months or less, the licensee shall complete twelve contact hours of continuing education within the renewal cycle, including one contact hour of ethics pursuant to paragraph (A)(2) of this rule. The category limits contained in paragraph (C) of this rule do not apply if the license was valid for twelve months or less.
(4) Any person who obtains an initial license in Ohio pursuant to rule 4755-43-01 of the Administrative Code within twelve months of graduation from an accredited entry level athletic training educational program is not required to obtain any continuing education units for the first renewal.
(B) The athletic trainers section shall determine if a continuing education activity meets the requirements of this rule. Continuing education is defined as participation in an organized continuing education experience under responsible sponsorship, capable direction, and qualified instruction. One contact hour equals sixty minutes.
(1) Applications for prior approval of workshop or conference content by the athletic trainers section may be obtained by the workshop or conference sponsor from the board office. For prior approval, completed applications must be received by the section no later than ninety days prior to the date of the workshop or conference.
(2) If no other form of verification is used, licensees shall obtain from the board office verification of participation forms, which are to be signed by each presenter at the conclusion of each presentation. If a presentation is made by a panel of individuals, only one signature is required. Original continuing education certificates or other original documents indicating credits awarded may also be used as verification of participation.
(3) Continuing education hours shall exclude refreshment breaks, receptions and other social gatherings, and meals.
(C) Acceptable continuing education activities may include:
(1) Participation in professional workshops, seminars, and/or conferences.
(a) Credit is obtained for in person participation in presentations that have either been approved by the athletic trainers section, sponsored by the national athletic trainers association, the national athletic trainers association board of certification, the great lakes athletic trainers association, the Ohio athletic trainers association, or offered by a national athletic trainers association board of certification approved provider, or which otherwise meets all of the following criteria:
(i) Contributes directly to professional competency;
(ii) Relates directly to the clinical practice, management, or education of athletic training; and
(iii) Conducted by individuals who demonstrate expertise in the subject matter of the program.
(b) Proof of content shall be demonstrated by the original workshop or conference brochure, agenda, and/or other materials given to participants during the presentation and/or, if applicable, information documented on prior approval applications made with the board.
(c) A minimum of five hours shall be earned under this category per renewal cycle. There is no limit on the number of continuing education hours that may be earned in this category.
(2) Presentations. To be eligible to receive continuing education credit for making a presentation, including a poster presentation, the presentation shall be:
(a) To health or education professionals and/or students; and
(b) Directly related to the clinical practice, management, or education of athletic training professionals.
Five hours will be awarded per presentation, with a maximum of ten hours per renewal cycle. Proof of having conducted the presentation is the workshop, conference, or seminar contract, the brochure, agenda or other printed materials describing the content and audience.
Continuing education credit will not be awarded for subsequent presentations of the same material.
(3) Publication of original work. Ten hours will be awarded per original publication in a state or national scientific journal or publication of a related professional organization. A maximum of twenty hours may be earned in this category per renewal cycle.
(4) Postgraduate courses. Any course completed after receiving a bachelors degree may be submitted for consideration by the athletic trainers section provided the course is directly related to the management, practice, or education of athletic training. Proof of completion is an unofficial transcript and a copy of the course description. An official transcript may be requested at the discretion of the athletic trainers section. Five contact hours will be awarded for each semester hour or equivalent accepted. There is no limit of contact hours in this category.
(5) Self-study. Formal self-study packages, such as printed text, multi-media, or internet based activities, related to the practice of athletic training are acceptable. Proof of completion is the certificate of completion and/or a copy of the post-test results. A maximum of twenty hours may be earned in this category per renewal cycle.
(6) Post-professional athletic training education program. Graduation from a post-professional athletic training education program accredited by the national athletic trainers association may be submitted for the continuing education requirement and will qualify for twenty-five hours of continuing education in the year the licensee graduates. Proof of completion is an official transcript.
(7) Laws and rules examination. One contact hour may be earned for completing and passing the Ohio athletic training laws and rules examination. This contact hour may be utilized only once per renewal cycle for continuing education credit. Proof of completion will be supplied by the section. This contact hour may be used to fulfill the ethics requirement established in paragraph (A)(2) of this rule.
(D) An athletic training license shall not be renewed unless the licensee indicates on the renewal application that the individual completed the required number of continuing education hours specified in paragraph (A) of this rule.
A licensee who falsifies a renewal application may be disciplined by the athletic trainers section for violating division (A)(3) of section 4755.64 of the Revised Code.
(E) Records and documentation of continuing education activities, such as verification of participation forms, conference brochures, certificates, college or university transcripts or grade reports, articles, books, and/or apprenticeship evaluations shall be maintained by the licensee.
(F) The athletic trainers section shall conduct an audit of the continuing education records of not less than five per cent of the licensees each renewal year.
(1) Licensees chosen for the audit shall submit documentation to support the continuing education activities within the timeframe specified by the athletic training section. After review of the records and documentation, if requested, the materials shall be returned to the licensee.
(2) Failure to provide proof of the required number of continuing education hours in the appropriate categories, for the specified time period will result in the commencement of disciplinary action.
(3) Failure to respond to or acknowledge receipt of an audit notice will result in the commencement of disciplinary action.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 04/01/2015
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4755.61
Rule Amplifies: 4755.61 , 4755.63
Prior Effective Dates: 7/8/91, 4/27/96, 3/20/98, 5/5/00, 5/1/05, 5/1/06, 5/1/07, 5/1/08, 5/16/09, 5/1/10
(A) In individual cases involving disability, illness, or undue hardship, the athletic trainers section may grant waivers of continuing education requirements, or extensions of time within which to fulfill these requirements, not to exceed two calendar years.
(1) To apply for a waiver or extension due to undue hardship, the licensee must submit a written application on forms established by the section and signed by the licensee no later than July first of the renewal year.
(2) To apply for a waiver due to disability or illness, the licensee must obtain, complete, and submit the waiver or extension form to the athletic trainers section no later than July first of the renewal year. This form must also be signed by a licensed physician in good standing verifying that the licensee suffers from a disability or illness.
(B) The athletic trainers section may, as a condition of any waiver granted, require the applicant to make up a certain portion of the minimum continuing education requirements being waived for the renewal cycle.
(C) The deadlines in paragraphs (A)(1) and (A)(2) of this rule may be waived at the discretion of the athletic trainers section.