Chapter 4755-46 Delegation of Tasks
(A) "Unlicensed personnel" means any person who is on the job trained and not holding a valid license to practice athletic training in Ohio under sections 4755.60 to 4755.65 of the Revised Code who supports the delivery of athletic training services by personally assisting the Ohio-licensed athletic trainer while the athletic trainer is concurrently providing services to the same individual.
(B) The Ohio-licensed athletic trainer performs the following, none of which may be assigned to unlicensed personnel.
(1) Interpreting available information concerning the referral.
(2) Performing the initial evaluation.
(3) Initiating or adjusting treatment procedures or activities.
(4) Planning patient care.
(C) Unlicensed personnel may only be assigned routine duties and tasks that assist in the delivery of athletic training and operations, such as:
(1) Maintenance and care of equipment and supplies.
(2) Preparation, maintenance, and cleaning of treatment areas.
(3) Personally assisting the athletic trainer while the athletic trainer is concurrently providing services to the same individual.
(D) Supervision of unlicensed personnel.
(1) Direct supervision from the Ohio-licensed athletic trainer is required whenever unlicensed personnel are performing activities related to the delivery of athletic training services identified in paragraph (C) of this rule.
(2) "Direct supervision" means at the same location and available to immediately respond to the needs of the individual.
Replaces: Former 4755-46-01
(A) A student is an unlicensed person. However, for purposes of the exemption from licensure contained in division (A)(3) of section 4755.65 of the Revised Code, a student need not be licensed if all of the following requirements are met:
(1) The student is enrolled in:
(a) A professional (entry-level) education program accredited by the commission on accreditation of athletic training education (CAATE); or
(b) An international professional (entry-level) education program located in a country that has entered into a mutual recognition agreement with the board of certification (BOC) and enrolled as a student at a program identified in paragraph (A)(1)(a) of this rule.
(2) The student has not met the requirements to sit for the examination;
(3) The activities and services performed by the student constitute a part of an approved course of study in accordance with paragraphs (B) and (C) of this rule;
(4) Students are designated by titles which clearly indicate their status as a student.
(B) A student shall be supervised by an Ohio licensed athletic trainer. The supervising athletic trainer is responsible for planning, directing, and evaluating the student's athletic training experience. Supervision requires daily visual and audible contact at all the sites at which the student provides services.
(C) Any documentation written by a student must be countersigned by the supervising athletic trainer. Documentation shall include the student's signature and must be followed by a title which indicates student status.
(D) High school students are not "students" for the purpose of the exemption from licensure provided by section 4755.65 of the Revised Code and this rule. High school students should be referred to as "student aides." High school student aides are unlicensed persons as defined in rule 4755-46-01 of the Administrative Code.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 04/01/2015 and 07/01/2020
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4755.61
Rule Amplifies: 4755.65
Prior Effective Dates: 4/27/96, 3/10/98, 5/5/00, 5/1/04, 5/1/09