(A) Occupational therapist.
The occupational therapist shall assume professional responsibility for the following activities, which shall not be wholly delegated, regardless of the setting in which the services are provided:
(1) Interpretation of referrals or prescriptions for occupational therapy services;
(2) Interpretation and analysis for evaluation purposes;
(3) Development, interpretation, and modification of the treatment/intervention plan and the discharge plan.
(B) Occupational therapy assistant.
(1) The occupational therapy assistant may contribute to and collaborate in:
(a) The evaluation process by gathering data, administering standardized tests and/or objective measurement tools, and reporting observations.
(b) The preparation, implementation, and documentation of the treatment/intervention plan and the discharge plan.
(c) Choosing the appropriate treatment interventions.
(2) The occupational therapy assistant may independently:
(a) Select the daily modality of choice according to the established treatment/intervention plan.
(b) Document the progress and outcomes summary.
(3) The occupational therapy assistant may not evaluate independently or initiate treatment/intervention before the supervising occupational therapist performs an evaluation.
(C) Student occupational therapist and student occupational therapy assistant.
In accordance with section 4755.13 of the Revised Code, persons fulfilling the supervised fieldwork experience requirements pursuant to section 4755.07 of the Revised Code shall, at the discretion of the supervising occupational therapist or supervising occupational therapy assistant, as appropriate, be assigned duties or functions commensurate with their education and training.
(D) Unlicensed personnel.
The primary function of unlicensed personnel functioning in an occupational therapy setting is to perform designated routine tasks related to the operation and delivery of occupational therapy services. Such tasks may include, but are not limited to:
(1) Routine department maintenance;
(2) Transportation of clients;
(3) Preparation or setting up of treatment equipment and work area;
(4) Taking care of clients' personal needs during treatments;
(5) Assisting in the construction of adaptive equipment and splints;
(6) Clerical, secretarial, and administrative activities;and
(7) Personally assisting the occupational therapist, occupational therapy assistant.
student occupational therapist, or student occupational therapy assistant while the occupational therapist, occupational therapy assistant, student occupational therapist, or student occupational therapy assistant is concurrently providing services to the same client.
Replaces: Part of former 4755-7-02, former 4755-7-03, part of former 4755-7-09
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates:
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4755.06
Rule Amplifies: 4755.04, 4755.06 , 4755.08, 4755.11
Prior Effective Dates: 10/17/77, 5/15/91, 4/11/02, 5/1/04, 5/1/06, 5/1/07, 5/1/08, 7/1/10