(A) In addition to meeting educational and other requirements as established in rules 4757-13-01 and 4757-13-02 of the Administrative Code, applicants for professional clinical counselor shall meet the following experience and examination requirements as a professional counselor:
(1) An applicant with a qualifying master's or other graduate degree which is not a doctorate in counseling shall have completed two years of post professional counselor licensure supervised experience in clinical counseling, which includes the diagnosis and treatment of mental and emotional disorders.
(2) An applicant with a doctorate in counseling shall have completed two years of supervised experience in clinical counseling, which includes the diagnosis and treatment of mental and emotional disorders. At least one year and a minimum of fifteen hundred hours of supervised experience shall be completed after the award of the doctoral degree and as a licensed professional counselor and one year and a maximum of fifteen hundred hours of supervised experience may be completed as a part of a doctoral internship at a board approved counselor education program.
(3) An applicant licensed as a professional counselor by this board prior to the requirement of sixty semester hours and the clinical coursework in paragraph (A)(5) of rule 4757-13-01 of the Administrative Code, shall use supervised experience as a professional counselor to meet this requirement
(4) A minimum of two years of supervised practice by the applicants shall be in a clinical setting, which shall have a primary focus on the diagnosis and treatment of mental and emotional disorders. Each year of supervised experience in clinical counseling required under section 4757.22 of the Revised Code and under this rule shall meet paragraphs (A)(4)(a), (A)(4)(b) and (B) of this rule unless the committee approves experience under paragraph (A)(4)(c) or (A)(4)(d) of this rule.
(a) At least fifteen hundred hours of work, by the applicant, of which a minimum of fifty per cent of the work consists of face-to-face client contact involving the delivery of clinical counseling services, which include the diagnosis and treatment of mental and emotional disorders. Not more than fifteen hundred hours of experience may be accrued in any twelve month period. If the supervised experience totaled less than the fifteen hundred hours, in a twelve month period credit will be granted for the fraction of a year's experience represented by the number of hours worked; and
(b) The experience was under the direct supervision of a professional clinical counselor, psychologist, psychiatrist, independent social worker with a clinical area of competence, or other independently licensed mental health professional acceptable to the counselor professional standards committee. All supervision obtained in Ohio shall be provided by a professional clinical counselor with supervision designation. Exceptions to this rule, due to hardship, shall be made in writing to the committee.
(c) Supervised counseling experience obtained out of state may count toward the supervised experience requirement. Applicants shall request this consideration in writing from the counselor professional standards committee. If licensed in another state, applicants shall apply under rule 4757-13-06 of the Administrative Code.
(d) Elementary or secondary schools and college or university academic advising, admissions, and placement centers are not clinical settings where diagnosis and treatment of mental and emotional disorders are routinely within the scope of practice. Applicants who believe that they are conducting diagnosis and treatment of mental and emotional disorders have the burden of proving to the counselor professional standards committee that their experience meets the requirements as defined in paragraphs (A)(4)(a) to (A)(4)(c) of this rule.
(B) An applicant for professional clinical counselor shall pass a field evaluation prescribed by the board to evaluate the applicant's competence in diagnosing and treating mental and emotional disorders. The applicant shall further provide supervision evaluations within thirty days following the completion of the first fifteen hundred hours of supervised experience required under paragraph (A) of this rule, and again, at the completion of the full three thousand hours of supervised experience on forms provided by the board.
(1) The field evaluation shall contain documented evidence of the quality, scope and nature of the applicant's field experience and competence in diagnosis and treating mental and emotional disorders and be submitted on a form prescribed by the counselor professional standards committee.
(2) The field evaluation shall be completed by the individuals registered with the board as the applicant's supervising counselors.
(3) The supervision evaluations shall be completed by the registered supervising counselor for the applicant within thirty days of the accumulation of fifteen hundred and three thousand total hours of supervised experience. The applicant is responsible for providing the form to the supervisor.
(C) An applicant for professional clinical counselor shall successfully complete the licensure examination prescribed by the counselor professional standards committee within two years of application. All Ohio professional counselors who were licensed as professional counselors by taking the single tier Texas-Ohio examination from January 1, 1999 to December 31, 2004 or Ohio professional counselor licensure examination from January 1, 2004 through February 28, 2006 are exempt from taking the prescribed examination for professional clinical counselor.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 10/12/2012 and 12/17/2017
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4757.10, 4757.22
Rule Amplifies: 4757.22
Prior Effective Dates: 2-24-86 (Emer.); 5-22-86; 12-18-88; 7-3-97; 2-9-98; 7-10-00; 3-13-06; 9-20-07; 9-1-11