(A) This rule establishes the requirements for an Ohio college or university counselor program accredited by the Ohio board of regents seeking pre-approval that its program meets the requirements of rule 4757-13-01 of the Administrative Code. All Ohio programs are required to be "Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs" "CACREP" clinical mental health program, clinical rehabilitation counseling program, or addiction counseling program accredited by January 1, 2018; and if so accredited are deemed to be approved programs per division (B)(2) of section 4757.23 of the Revised Code. Prior to January 1, 2018, these programs and "CACREP" accredited mental health programs are accepted as meeting the educational standards of rule 4757-13-01 of the Administrative Code per division (B)(3)(b) of section 4757.23 of the Revised Code. University or college counseling programs prior to January 1, 2018 applying for pre-approval shall meet the following criteria. After January 1, 2018, this rule shall no longer be in effect as pre-approval by this rule is no longer valid.
(1) Programs that are "CACREP" accredited in community counseling shall submit documentation that they are in the process of obtaining a clinical mental health accreditation from "CACREP" and submit course numbers and descriptions showing which courses meet the requirements of paragraphs (A)(4) and (A)(5) of rule 4757-13-01 of the Administrative Code; or
(2) Programs that are not "CACREP" accredited in community or mental health counseling shall provide documentation that they are in the process of obtaining "CACREP" accreditation and submit course numbers and descriptions showing which courses meet the requirements of paragraphs (A)(4) and (A)(5) of rule 4757-13-01 of the Administrative Code.
(B) Programs that are "CACREP" accredited in mental health, clinical mental health, clinical rehabilitation counseling program, or addiction counseling program are deemed to have met the requirements and shall be verified by the "CACREP" website or copy of the approval letter from "CACREP" sent to the board by the program .Programs needing pre-approval shall apply on forms provided by the board to document meeting the conditions specified in paragraph (A) of this rule and paragraph (A) of rule 4757-13-01 of the Administrative Code.
(1) Initial applications for "CACREP" accredited community counseling programs and non "CACREP" accredited programs shall be approved through January 1, 2018.
(2) Application forms shall require the following additional detail.
(a) Title of degrees offered;
(b) Sample transcripts that show degree titles and major;
(c) Copy of catalogs and brochures for the programs offered;
(d) Number of semester or quarter hours in their program for each degree listed;
(f) Non "CACREP" accredited programs shall complete all application questions on the board's form; and
(g) Other minor information required by the board approved form.
(3) Programs resident outside of Ohio are not eligible for pre-approval under this rule.
(C) Supervision of students shall meet the requirements established in "CACREP" accreditation standards for clinical mental health counseling programs, clinical rehabilitation counseling programs, or addiction counseling programs. Students registered as counselor trainees with the board shall further meet supervision requirements per rule 4757-17-01 of the Administrative Code. The accreditation standards require face-to-face individual or triadic supervision of students. "Triadic" means one supervisor and two supervisees.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 12/17/2017
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4757.10 , 4757.22 , 4757.23
Rule Amplifies: 4757.22
Prior Effective Dates: 3/7/97, 2/9/98, 7/10/00, 9/20/02, 1/10/08, 4/1/11, 1/1/13