This rule applies to all licensed professional counselors who are working toward licensure as licensed professional clinical counselors and counselor trainees seeking licensure under rules 4757-13-01 and 4757-13-03 of the Administrative Code. This rule also applies to licensed professional counselors who are diagnosing and treating mental and emotional disorders under the work supervision of an independently licensed mental health professional.
(A) Definition of supervision:
(1) "Training supervision" is supervision of all individuals who are gaining the experience required for a license as a licensed professional clinical counselor, or a license as a licensed professional counselor under rule 4757-13-01 of the Administrative Code, or a counselor trainee registered with the board and enrolled in a practicum or internship class under paragraph (E) of this rule. This type of supervision requires extensive time and involvement on the part of the supervisor in order to help supervisees improve their skills and/or learn new skills. Supervision must start with an initial face to face meeting after which communication may be in person, via video conferencing, or by phone. Training supervision shall include an average of one hour of contact between the supervisor and supervisee for every twenty hours of work by the supervisee. Training supervision shall be face-to-face individual and/or triadic for counselor trainees.
(2) "Work supervision" is supervision required of licensed professional counselors who are engaging in the diagnosis and treatment of mental and emotional disorders. Work supervision may be provided by a professional clinical counselor, psychologist, psychiatrist, independent marriage and family therapist, or independent social worker. This supervision requires the evaluation of the supervisee's performance; professional guidance to the supervisee; approval of the supervisee's intervention plans and their implementation; the assumption of responsibility for the welfare of the supervisee's clients; and assurance that the supervisee functions within the limits of his/her license. The assessment, diagnosis, treatment plan, revisions to the treatment plan, correspondence and transfer or termination of the client(s) shall be approved by the supervisor and shall be made available to the board upon request. Licensed professional counselors shall disclose to their clients on all printed and electronic material that they are engaging in the diagnosis and treatment of mental and emotional disorders under the supervision of an appropriately licensed mental health professional. The supervisee shall also disclose to their clients on the disclosure statement or similar document the name(s) of the professional(s) providing supervision.
(3) "Group supervision" is supervision by one supervisor of a group of three to six supervisees. that consists of three to six supervisees per one supervisor.
(4) "Triadic supervision" is comprised of a supervisor and two counselor trainees or two licensed professional counselors.
(B) Purposes of training supervision:
(1) To provide for the protection of consumer and client welfare;
(2) To provide that supervisees function within the limits of their competence; and
(3) To provide training in activities relevant to the supervisee's position and academic background.
(C) Requirements pertaining to training supervision:
(1) A licensed professional clinical counselor or licensed professional counselor providing supervision shall:
(a) Have demonstrated competence in the area in which they are supervising;
(b) Have training in supervision theory and practice;
(c) Have training in legal and ethical issues relevant to counseling;
(d) Have training in multicultural counseling competencies as defined by the board;
(e) Have a board issued supervision designation; and
(f) Complete and forward to the board all supervision evaluation forms required by the board within thirty days of receipt of the form from a supervisee.
(2) Training supervisees may not choose a supervisor who is a family member or who is related to them in any way.
(3) When the training supervisor and licensed professional counselor are employed by the same agency, the licensed professional clinical counselor with supervision designation is responsible for all diagnoses, change in diagnoses, individualized services plans, and correspondence to any third party outside of the agency.
(4) Licensed professional counselors who engage in the diagnosis and treatment of mental and emotional disorders shall do so under the work supervision of a licensed professional clinical counselor, a psychologist, a psychiatrist, an independent marriage and family therapist, or an independent social worker with a clinical area of competence. All licensed professional counselors engaging in training supervision for licensure as licensed professional clinical counselors shall be under the supervision of a licensed professional clinical counselor with supervision designation. All counselor trainees engaging in training supervision for licensure as licensed professional counselors shall be under the supervision of a licensed professional counselor with supervision designation or a licensed professional clinical counselor with supervision designation except that a licensed professional clinical counselor with supervision designation shall supervise the counselor trainee when diagnosing and treating mental and emotional disorders. Requests for exceptions to this rule for training supervision, due to hardship, shall be made in writing to the board.
(5) Individuals in the process of completing the supervised experience required for licensure may be employed on a paid basis as long as they are practicing within the scope of practice of the license for which they are applying, and are properly licensed or registered with the board.
(6) Supervisees presenting supervision experience from another state shall provide the vita of their supervisors to demonstrate that their supervisors are licensed to supervise the diagnosis and treatment of mental and emotional disorders and thus are acceptable to the board.
(D) Documentation of training supervision.
(1) Records of training supervision shall be maintained by the supervisee and made available to the board upon request. The supervision records shall contain information concerning the dates/times of supervision (e.g. "8-19-08 from 2:00-3:00 p.m."), content and goals of supervision and shall be signed by the supervisor at least quarterly.
(2) Licensed professional counselors and each of the supervisors who provided training supervision shall complete a evaluation form provided by the board to document hours accrued. The training supervisor shall complete the form and submit it to the board within thirty days of receipt from the supervisee.
(E) Requirements for applying for a training supervision designation.
(1) Licensed professional clinical counselors applying for training supervision designation shall meet the following minimum requirements. Licensed professional counselors who hold the supervision designation prior to January 1, 2013 may continue to hold that designation as long as they maintain it in good standing.
(a) Document a minimum of twenty-four hours of academic preparation or board approved continuing education coursework in counselor supervision training including training six hours in each area as follows:
(i) Assessment, evaluation and remediation which includes initial, formative and summative assessment of supervisee knowledge, skills and self-awareness; components of evaluation e.g. evaluation criteria and expectations, supervisory procedures, methods for monitoring (both direct and indirect observation) supervisee performance, formal and informal feedback mechanisms, and evaluation processes (both summative and formative), and processes and procedures for remediation of supervisee skills, knowledge, and personal effectiveness and self-awareness;
(ii) Counselor development which includes models of supervision, learning models, stages of development and transitions in supervisee/supervisor development, knowledge and skills related to supervision intervention options, awareness of individual differences and learning styles of supervisor and supervisee, awareness and acknowledgement of cultural differences and multicultural competencies needed by supervisors, recognition of relational dynamics in the supervisory relationship, and awareness of the developmental process of the supervisory relationship itself;
(iii) Management and administration which includes organizational processes and procedures for recordkeeping, reporting, monitoring of supervisee's cases, collaboration, research and evaluation; agency or institutional policies and procedures for handling emergencies, case assignment and case management, roles and responsibilities of supervisors and supervisees, and expectations of supervisory process within the institution or agency; institutional processes for managing multiple roles of supervisors, and summative and formative evaluation processes; and
(iv) Professional responsibilities which includes ethical and legal issues in supervision includes dual relationships, competence, due process in evaluation, informed consent, types of supervisor liability, privileged communication, consultation, etc.; regulatory issues include Ohio laws governing the practice of counseling and counseling supervision, professional standards and credentialing processes in counseling, reimbursement eligibility and procedures, and related institutional or agency procedures.
(b) Each licensed professional clinical counselor shall obtain a minimum of one year and fifteen hundred hours of clinical experience, post licensed professional clinical counselor licensure, which shall include the diagnosis and treatment of mental and emotional disorders.
(c) The fifteen hundred hours shall include at least one supervision experience. The licensed professional clinical counselor in training shall observe five training supervision sessions conducted by a licensed professional clinical counselor with a supervisor designation. Following the observation of five training supervision sessions, the licensed professional clinical counselor in training and the supervisor shall conduct a minimum of a one hour review session to process and review the observed sessions. Supervision must start with an initial face to face meeting after which communication may be in person, via video conferencing, or by phone.
(d) Comply with the American counseling association "ACA" ethical standards pertaining to the supervisory relationship.
(e) Document applicant's familiarity with significant legal, ethical, and clinical issues relevant to the supervisory relationship on a form prescribed by the board.
(2) All licensed professional counselors and licensed professional clinical counselors shall maintain the training supervision designation by obtaining three hours of counselor professional standards committee approved continuing professional education in supervision.
(3) Licensed professional clinical counselors engaged in training supervision shall be called "licensed professional clinical counselor with training supervision designation" per paragraph (Q)(9) of rule 4757-3-01 of the Administrative Code. They shall have adequate training, knowledge, and skill to render competent clinical supervision and shall meet the criteria for work and training supervision as defined in paragraphs (A)(1) and (A)(2) of this rule. Licensed professional counselors engaged in training supervision shall be called "licensed professional counselor with training supervision designation" per paragraph (Q)(8) of rule 4757-3-01 of the Administrative Code. They shall have adequate training, knowledge, and skill to render competent non-clinical supervision and shall not supervise the diagnosis and treatment of mental and emotional disorders.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 7/3/2023
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4757.10, 4757.22, 4757.23
Rule Amplifies: 4757.22, 4757.23
Prior Effective Dates: 02/24/1986 (Emer.), 05/22/1986, 12/18/1988, 07/03/1997, 02/09/1998, 08/02/2001, 09/20/2002, 01/10/2008, 11/02/2008, 10/18/2009, 09/01/2011, 01/01/2013, 06/01/2014, 11/03/2014, 07/01/2016, 09/03/2018