(A) The examination required for licensure as a marriage and family therapist or an independent marriage and family therapist is the "Examination In Marital and Family Therapy" offered by the "Association of Marital and Family Therapy Regulatory Boards" (AMFTRB).
(B) The examination shall be offered at least twice each year.
(C) Only applicants who are approved by the board may sit for the examination. Approval to sit for the examination shall be granted if a review of the applicant's educational records establishes that the educational requirements for licensure are met.
(1) Applicants who have a master or doctoral degree from a regionally accredited educational institution may provide a student copy of their transcript(s) via mail, email or facsimile in order for the board to make an examination approval or disapproval decision.
(2) Applicants in the last term prior to receiving their master or doctoral degree from a program that is accredited by COAMFTE may provide a letter, facsimile or email from a professor or registrar that states the student is on track to graduate at the end of that term in order for the board to make an examination approval or disapproval decision.
(D) An applicant who is approved for the examination shall be sent an approval letter from the board.
(1) The letter is effective only for the next examination given after the date of issuance.
(2) An applicant who fails to take the examination during the effectiveness of the letter shall request another approval letter.
(3) An applicant who neglects to take the examination within twelve months after being deemed eligible by the board shall re-apply for approval to sit for the examination. The applicant shall meet the requirements in effect at the time of the new request for approval.
(E) The minimum score for passage of the examination for marriage and family therapists is determined by the "Association of Marriage and Family Therapists Regulatory Boards" (AMFTRB) and the marriage and family therapist professional standards committee.
(F) A marriage and family therapist or independent marriage and family therapist who has an expired license and requests to apply for a new license will be required to do one of the following:
(1) Re-take and achieve a passing score on the national "Examination In Marital and Family Therapy" offered by the "Association of Marital and Family Therapy Regulatory Boards" (AMFTRB);
(2) Complete thirty clock hours of approved continuing professional education; three of the thirty hours must be taken in the area of professional ethics for marriage and family therapists.
(G) Applicants that hold a current marriage and family therapist license in another state may be approved by the board to sit for the national examination.