(A) Students enrolled in a practicum or internship prior to receiving their marriage and family therapy degree are eligible to register as a "marriage and family therapist trainee" as authorized in section 4757.10 of the Revised Code and defined in paragraph (U) of rule 4757-3-01 of the Administrative Code, if they are doing so in Ohio. Students are not required by the board to have marriage and family therapist trainee status to complete their practicum or internship requirements, including the provision of supervised marriage and family therapy services, but may be required to obtain registration as a marriage and family therapist trainee by the supervising agency as a condition of acceptance for practicum or internship. A student may also voluntarily choose to apply for registration as a marriage and family therapist trainee. Applicants for marriage and family therapist trainee status shall:
(1) Be of good moral character; and
(2) Provide criminal records checks per paragraph (E) of rule 4757-1-04 of the Administrative Code; and
(3) Apply on a form specified by the board and comply with rule 4757-1-04 of the Administrative Code; and
(4) Provide proof of enrollment in a master's or doctoral level marriage and family therapy practicum or internship course. A copy of the university's online enrollment document shall be acceptable; or a letter, email or facsimile from the professor or registrar stating the applicant is enrolled.
(B) Applicants who hold marriage and family therapist trainee status shall:
(1) Document proof of marriage and family therapist trainee status by using the board's online license verification system at https://license.ohio.gov. Trainee status shall be active only within the dates displayed on that system. The dates of that registration shall be up to two months past the end of the term enrolled; and
(2) Provide proof of enrollment as specified in paragraph (A)(4) of this rule for their existing registration to be extended through the dates of that course; and
(3) Have the same scope of practice as a marriage and family therapist in rule 4757-27-01 of the Administrative Code, but require much closer supervision during the training process.
(C) Marriage and family therapist trainee status is not a substitute for licensure and is only valid at the school approved field placement site(s) where the student is completing his or her field placement, and through the dates listed on the board's online license verification system.
(D) Ensuring the marriage and family therapist trainee is properly registered and listed on the licensure web site https://license.ohio.gov is primarily the responsibility of the marriage and family therapist trainee, but shall be monitored by the work place supervisor or agency at time of placement and subsequent extensions of marriage and family therapist trainee status.