Electronic service delivery is defined in paragraph (EE) of rule 4757-3-01 of the Administrative Code. Licensees are reminded that standards of ethical practice and professional conduct rules 4757-5-01 to 4757-5-12 of the Administrative Code apply to electronic service delivery.
(A) These standards govern the practice of electronic service delivery and address practices that are unique to electronic service delivery and electronic service delivery practitioners.
(1) All practitioners providing counseling, social work or marriage and family therapy via electronic service delivery to Ohio citizens shall be licensed in Ohio.
(2) All licensees of this board providing services to clients outside the state of Ohio shall comply with the laws and rules of that jurisdiction.
(3) Electronic service delivery shall require an initial face-to-face meeting, which may be via video/audio electronically, to verify the identity of the electronic service delivery client. At that meeting steps shall be taken to address impostor concerns, such as by using passwords to identify the client in future electronic contacts.
(4) Informed consent shall include information defining electronic service delivery as practiced by the licensee and the potential risks and ethical considerations per paragraph (B) of rule 4757-5-02 of the Administrative Code.
(a) Licensees shall obtain written informed consent.
(b) Licensees shall not provide services without client signed informed consent.
(5) Licensees shall provide links to websites for all of their certification bodies and licensure boards to facilitate consumer protection.
(6) Licensees shall identify an appropriately trained professional who can provide local assistance, including crisis intervention, if needed. Licensees shall provide electronic service delivery clients the local crisis hotline telephone number and the local emergency mental health telephone number.
(7) Licensees shall provide a link to the board's online license verification site on their web page. They shall also have a copy of the professional disclosure statement available on their web site per rule 4757-5-12 of the Administrative Code.
(B) Confidentiality in electronic service delivery shall be maintained by the licensee:
(1) Licensees shall use encryption methods for electronic service delivery; and
(2) Shall inform electronic service delivery clients details of data record storage.