Any license or certificate of registration issued by the board expires two years from the date it is issued or renewed. The provisions of section 4757.32 of the Revised Code shall apply to all applications for renewal of licenses and certificates of registration.
(A) The renewal applicant shall file the required renewal forms in a manner prescribed by the board and shall pay the appropriate renewal fee. For the purposes of renewing online, the applicant shall establish user identification and password. The use of the user identification and password is solely the responsibility of the licensee to be used for all applications within the elicensing system including, but not limited to, an initial licensure application, a renewal application, updating the address, requesting a wall certificate or license verification to another state or entity. The user identification and password shall constitute the legally recognized signature for the purposes of this rule and may not be transferred, distributed or shared with any other person. Any person who knowingly makes a false statement on a renewal application or electronic application may be found guilty of falsification under section 2921.13 of the Revised Code, a misdemeanor of the first degree.
(B) The renewal applicant shall demonstrate in a manner prescribed by the board that the applicant has met the continuing professional education requirements, unless they are renewing in an inactive status per section 4757.321 of the Revised Code, for any license or certificate of registration completed under rules 4757-9-01, 4757-9-02 and /or 4757-9-03 of the Administrative Code.
(1) The continuing professional education required for renewal shall have been acquired subsequent to the issue of, or the last renewal of, the license or certificate of registration.
(2) Renewal applicants who hold two or more licenses issued by this board shall satisfy the continuing professional education requirements for each license they wish to renew. Continuing professional education used to renew one license or certificate of registration issued by this board may be used to renew another license or certificate of registration if it is approved for that license or certificate of registration.
(3) The board may waive the continuing professional education requirements for persons unable to meet them because of disability, residence abroad, military service, or other reasonable cause. Such requests for waiver shall be accompanied by documentation acceptable to the board per paragraph (D) of this rule.
(C) Except as stated in paragraph (B)(3) of this rule, the licenses or certificates of registration of persons renewing under rules 4757-9-01, 4757-9-02 and 4757-9-03 of the Administrative Code who do not meet their continuing professional requirements shall expire two years from the date of issuance. The board shall restore any license or certificate of registration that has been lapsed for two years or less upon application by the former licensee or registrant, documentation that the continuing professional education requirement for renewal has been met, and payment of the renewal fee. That restoration shall be for the remainder of the two years from the expiration date of that license. Any licensee eligible to restore their license may not apply for a new license. Many licensees may be confused by the term 'restoration' or 'restore', which is often thought of as a late renewal, but is actually a restoration of their license from that day forward for the remainder of the two year original month and day of licensure expiration.
(1) Per section 5903.10 of the Revised Code, a licensee or registrant shall be granted a renewal of the license or certificate by the board at the usual fee without a late fee as required by rule 4757-1-05 of the Administrative Code, if not otherwise disqualified because of mental or physical disability, and if either paragraph (C)(4)(a) or (C)(4)(b) of this rule applies:
(a) The license or registration was not renewed because of the holder's service in the armed forces of the United States or a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States, including the Ohio national guard.
(b) The license or certificate was not renewed because the holder's spouse served in the armed forces of the United States or a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States, including the Ohio national guard, and the service resulted in the holder's absence from this state.
(c) A renewal shall not be granted under this paragraph unless the holder or the holder's spouse, whichever is applicable, has presented satisfactory evidence of the service member's discharge under honorable conditions or release under honorable conditions from active duty or national guard duty within six months after the discharge or release.
(D) Waiver of continuing education requirements shall be processed as delineated in this rule. Waivers shall be requested using forms delineated by the board. Waiver of continuing education may be for the full thirty hours or any part thereof or a partial waiver of any or all of the hours that shall be completed by a future date per a consent agreement. Waivers should be requested with at least thirty days lead-time to allow processing prior to the expiration of a license for those licensees practicing in Ohio. A licensee whose license renewal date has passed shall not practice until they have renewed or they shall be in violation of section 4757.02 of the Revised Code and subject to administrative action up to and including revocation of their license.
(1) Per section 5903.12 of the Revised Code, a licensee or registrant upon application that is accompanied by proper documentation certifying that the licensee has been called to active duty as described in paragraph (D)(4)(a) and/or (D)(4)(b) of this rule during the current or a prior reporting period and certifying the length of that active duty, shall have the continuing education response time extended for the current reporting period by an amount of time equal to the total number of months that the licensee spent on active duty during the current reporting period. For purposes of this division, any portion of a month served on active duty shall be considered one full month.
(a) The person is a member of the Ohio national guard, the Ohio military reserve, the Ohio naval militia, or a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States.
(b) The person has been called to active duty, whether inside or outside the United States, because of an executive order issued by the president of the United States or an act of congress, or upon the order of the governor, for a period in excess of thirty-one days.
(2) If a waiver is granted, the licensee shall renew immediately, and their file annotated as to the status of their waiver and any due date for completion of additional continuing education hours. Any licensee required to complete future continuing education hours shall complete a consent agreement prior to renewing their license.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 08/15/2014 and 11/03/2019
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4757.33
Rule Amplifies: 4757.32, 4757.33, 5903.10, 5903.12
Prior Effective Dates: 5/22/86, 7/3/97, 2/9/98, 9/20/02, 4/10/04, 1/10/08, 11/2/08, 10/18/09, 6/1/2014