(A) The following steps are required for renewal of a license or certificate to practice as a chemical dependency counselor within each two-year period of licensure or certification.
(1) Completion of a renewal application documenting the following:
(a) A minimum of forty hours of approved continuing education credit within the two year renewal period. Documentation of these hours does not need to be submitted with the renewal application. If selected in a random audit process, documentation shall be required;
(b) A minimum of six hours of the total forty hours shall be in chemical dependency specific education;
(c) A minimum of three hours of the total forty hours shall be in ethics education; and
(d) For renewal of a LICDC-CS license, a minimum of six hours shall be in clinical supervision education within the following areas: assessment/evaluation, counselors' professional development, management/administration and professional responsibility.
(e) For renewal of a gambling disorder endorsement, a minimum of six hours shall be in gambling disorder education
(f) The remaining hours must be field related.
(2) Chemical dependency counselors may be granted up to a maximum of twenty CEUs for authoring alcohol and other drug related publications at the board's discretion.
(3) A maximum of ten CEUs may be granted for presenting a workshop or teaching chemical dependency related courses. One CEU is given for each contact hour of training. Credit is not granted for preparation time.
(4) A maximum of ten CEUs may be granted for special language courses or workshops.
(5) The board shall consider relevant education, training, or service completed during the current renewal period by a licensee or certificate holder who is a member of or spouse of a member of the armed forces of the United States or reserve components thereof, the Ohio national guard, the Ohio military reserve, the Ohio naval militia, or the national guard of any other state in determining whether a licensee has fulfilled required continuing education for that renewal period.
(B) The renewal application shall be completed and filed with required fee to the board no less than thirty days prior to the license or certificate lapse date.
A member of the armed forces of the United States, the Ohio national guard, the Ohio military reserve, the Ohio naval militia, the national guard of any other state, or a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States who has served on active duty, whether inside or outside the United States, for a period in excess of thirty-one days may submit an application to the board stating that the licensee or certificate holder requires an extension of the current reporting period because the licensee or certificate holder has served on active duty during the current or a prior reporting period. The licensee or certificate holder shall submit proper documentation certifying the active duty service and the length of that active duty service.
Upon receiving the application and proper documentation, the board shall extend the current reporting period by an amount of time equal to the total number of months that the licensee spent on active duty during the current reporting period. For purposes of this paragraph, any portion of a month served on active duty shall be considered one full month.
(C) The board shall send renewal reminders ninety days prior to the lapse date.
(D) The board may audit the renewal of a licensee or certificate holder. If selected for an audit, licensee or certificate holders shall be required to provide verification of completion of the hours required for their renewal period.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 09/28/2016 and 02/16/2022
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4758.20
Rule Amplifies: 4758.26, 4758.51
Prior Effective Dates: 6/13/04, 3/1/11, 3/22/13, 5/6/13, 7/7/14, 3/22/15