(A) The continuing education unit (CEU) equals one contact hour of participation in an organized educational format.
(B) CEUs and college courses:
(1) CEUs may be awarded for college courses that address one or more of the knowledge and skill areas associated with chemical dependency counseling or prevention services
(2) In determining the number of CEUs to be awarded for college courses, the following conversions shall be used:
(a) One semester hour equals fifteen CEUs
(b) One quarter hour equals ten CEUs.
(C) CEUs may be awarded to programs that address the following knowledge and skill areas:
(1) Counselor areas:
(a) Theories of addiction
(b) Counseling procedures and strategies
(c) Group process and techniques
(d) Assessment and diagnosis of addiction
(e) Relationship counseling
(g) Prevention strategies
(h) Treatment planning
(2) Prevention areas:
(b) Planning and evaluation
(c) Prevention education and service delivery
(e) Community organization
(f) Public policy and environmental change
(g) Professional growth and responsibility
(3) Chemical dependency counselor supervisor areas:
(a) Counselor development
(b) Professional and ethical standards
(c) Program development and quality assurance
(d) Performance evaluation
(f) Treatment knowledge
(4) Gambling disorder areas:
(a) Knowledge of gambling disorder
(b) Gambling counseling practice
(c) Special issues in gambling treatment
(d) Professionalism in gambling treatment
(5) Prevention administrator / supervisor areas:
(a) Personnel management
(b) Financial management
(c) Program development and planning
(d) Board development
(e) Policy development
(f) Coalition development
(D) Events for which no CEUs are awarded shall include:
(1) Programs leading to a high school diploma or equivalency certificate.
(2) In-service programs that deal with internal organizational affairs such as benefits, organizational structure or policy and procedures.
(3) Participation in department or committee meetings, delegate assemblies or similar meetings.
(4) Meetings for policy making or problem solving purposes.
(5) Business meetings of professional associations or societies.
(6) Programs delivered through the mass media unless they are an integral part of an educational program, which has prior board approval.
(7) CPR/first aid classes.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 09/28/2016 and 03/20/2022
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4758.20
Rule Amplifies: 4758.20
Prior Effective Dates: 6/13/04, 11/15/10, 5/6/13