(A) All applicants for initial licensure, certification or endorsement shall file with the executive director of the board a formal application on a form prescribed by the board.
(1) The formal application contains all documentation necessary to be credentialed at a particular level and consists of, at a minimum, the following:
(a) Formal application.
(b) Documentation of hours of volunteer or paid work experience when applicable. This includes related position descriptions that are signed by the supervisor.
(c) Documentation of required levels of education and training. This includes original transcript(s) of courses taken, certificates of attendance at appropriate workshops, and letters of participation when applicable.
(d) Verification of applicant's required practical experience hours when applicable. This includes submission of the form that verifies the accomplishment of the required practical experience.
(e) The required non-refundable fee.
(f) Documentation of felony charges or convictions.
(i) Felony charges or convictions shall be reviewed by the board before the application process can proceed.
(ii) Factors upon which review of these charges or convictions will be based may include:
(a) The nature of the charge or conviction.
(b) The time lapse since the charge or conviction.
(c) The related circumstances, including active addiction.
(d) The documented changes in the applicant's life since the charge or conviction.
(e) Any additional information as requested from the applicant including but not limited to a complete criminal background check.
(iii) Applicants will not be considered if:
(a) Currently incarcerated for a felony conviction.
(b) Currently on probation or parole.
(c) Offense was drug or alcohol related and occurred less than one year ago.
(2) The board shall review the formal application. As a result of this review, the board shall notify the applicant of one of the following:
(a) An approval of a certification or license,
(b) An approval to schedule for examination(s),
(c) The need for additional documentation, or
(d) Proposed denial of the application.
(1) Examinations are issued on an international basis and test required knowledge and skills. The board shall provide for the administration of the examinations in the state of Ohio.
(2) Exams are scored by an outside testing company approved by the board.
(a) Score reports are sent to the candidates by the board.
(b) Scores are broken down by categories indicating areas of strength and weakness.
(3) Upon fulfillment of the required eligibility requirements and completion of the appropriate process, as outlined in this rule, the board will notify applicants of scheduling procedures and other relevant information. Applicants are required to take the examination within one year from the date of approval of the formal application.
(4) Individuals with disabilities and/or religious obligations that require modifications to the test administration may make a written request for modification to the board no fewer than forty-five days prior to the scheduled test date. The candidate shall provide documentation of the disability from a health care professional or documentation of the religious issue with the written request.
(5) The "IC&RC" alcohol and drug counselor (ADC) examination is available in Spanish. Candidates may contact the board for information related to taking the examination in Spanish.
(C) Conversion applications:
(1) Individuals who hold a valid license or certificate with the board may convert their credential to a higher level, when applicable, by completing the appropriate conversion application.
(a) Licensees or certificate holders shall fulfill all eligibility requirements for the level to which they are applying. These requirements shall be documented according to the procedures outlined in the conversion application.
(D) Endorsement applications:
(1) Individuals who hold a valid LCDC II, LCDC III, LICDC or LICDC-CS with the board may apply for a gambling disorder endorsement by completing the appropriate endorsement application.
(2) Licensees shall fulfill all eligibility requirements for the endorsement. These requirements shall be documented according to the procedures outlined in the endorsement application.
Cite as Ohio Admin. Code 4758-4-01
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 09/01/2021
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4758.20
Rule Amplifies: 4758.24
Prior Effective Dates: 6/13/04, 4/1/07, 6/13/08, 10/1/10, 3/22/13 (Emer), 5/6/13, 3/22/15, 9/1/16