The following meanings apply to all rules promulgated by the Ohio board of dietetics, unless a specific paragraph explicitly defines or uses the word or term in a different manner.
(A) "Nutritional assessment" means the integrative evaluation of nutritionally relevant data to develop an individualized nutritional care plan. These data may include:
(1) Nutrient intake;
(2) Anthropometric measurements;
(3) Biochemical values;
(4) Physical and metabolic parameters;
(5) Socio-economic factors;
(6) Current medical diagnosis and medications; and
(7) Pathophysiological processes.
The mere collection of these data for use in assessment is not nutritional assessment and does not require a dietitian licensed under section 4759.06 of the Revised Code.
(B) "Nutritional counseling" means the advising of individuals or groups regarding nutritional intake by integrating information from the nutritional assessment with information on food and other sources of nutrients and meal preparation consistent with cultural background and socioeconomic status.
The distribution by an individual of written information prepared by a licensee is not nutritional counseling, and any person distributing the written information need not be licensed under section 4759.06 of the Revised Code.
(C) "Nutritional education" means a planned program based on learning objectives with expected outcomes designed to modify nutrition-related behaviors. This does not prohibit an individual from providing general non-medical nutrition information if the person does not violate division (B) of section 4759.02 of the Revised Code.
(D) "Nutritional care standards" means policies and procedures pertaining to the provision of nutritional care in institutional and community settings.
(E) "Nutritional care" means the application of the science of nutrition in the health and disease of people.
(F) "Board" means the Ohio board of dietetics.
(G) "Commission" means "The Commission on Dietetic Registration."
(H) "The Academy". means "The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics."
(I) "Medical nutrition therapy" means the use of specific nutrition services to treat, or rehabilitate an illness, injury, or condition. Medical nutrition therapy includes nutrition assessment, intervention, education, and counseling.
(J) "Council on postsecondary accreditation" is synonymous with "Commission on recognition of post-secondary accreditation."
(K) For purposes of division (B)(2) of section 4759.02 of the Revised Code, the terms "Nutritionist", "Nutrition counselor" and like terms tend to indicate the person is practicing dietetics.
(L) "High nutritional risk" means, but is not limited to, an individual to whom one or more of the following apply:
(1) Has a diagnosis of or presence of risk factors for malnutrition, dehydration, anemia, malabsorption disorders, vitamin and mineral deficiencies;
(2) Receives enteral or parenteral nutrition;
(3) Has pressure ulcer(s), open wounds(s), or non-healing wound(s);
(4) Significantly low albumin or hemoglobin levels, or elevated blood urea nitrogen and electrolyte imbalances;
(5) Severe chewing or swallowing problems;
(6) Consistently poor food/fluid intakes;
(7) Individuals who are less than ninety per cent of standard weight for height, or who exhibit significant weight changes as defined by accepted practice guidelines;
(8) Decreased activities of daily living (ADL);
(9) Decreased cognitive ability;
(10) A pregnant female who was fifteen years of age or less at the time of conception;
(11) Infants who are small for gestational age, or a pre-term infant of low birth weight.
(M) "General non-medical nutrition information" means information on the following:
(1) Principles of good nutrition and food preparation;
(2) Food to be included in the normal daily diet;
(3) The essential nutrients needed by the body;
(4) Recommended amounts of the essential nutrients;
(5) The actions of nutrients on the body;
(6) The effects of deficiencies or excesses of nutrients; or
(7) Food and supplements that are good sources of essential nutrients.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 02/01/2013 and 12/17/2017
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4759.05(A)
Rule Amplifies: 4759.01
Prior Effective Dates: 11-30-87; 2-9-98; 3-15-03