(A) Recognition of current licensure in another state for the purposes of waiving division (A) of section 4761.04 of the Revised Code:
(1) Applicants meeting the following provisions shall be recognized as holding a license in another state based upon standards that are equivalent to those in the state of Ohio on the date of application. The board will waive the requirements of division (A) of section 4761.04 of the Revised Code with respect to any applicant that provides proof of the following:
(a) The applicant, on the date of application for an Ohio license, holds an active and valid license issued by another state or states and the license was issued in part or in whole based upon successful completion of either of the following examinations offered by the national board for respiratory care, inc.'s (NBRC) or its successor organization:
(i) The certified respiratory therapist (C.R.T.) examination taken prior to January 1, 2015; or
(ii) The registered respiratory therapist (R.R.T.) examination consisting of both the written and clinical simulation portions; and
(b) Each state of origin requires its licensees to complete at least as many contact hours of continuing education as the state of Ohio and the applicant is current on obtaining and reporting completed continuing education to each state of origin based on the renewal schedule of each state. If the applicant holds a license from a state that does not require as many contact hours of continuing education as the state of Ohio, the board will require the applicant to complete needed contact hours to make up the difference.
(B) Recognition of examinations for the purpose of waiving divisions (A)(2) and (A)(3) of section 4761.04 of the Revised Code:
(1) On and after January 1, 2015, the board recognizes successful completion of both portions of the R.R.T. examination administered by the NBRC or its successor organization as meeting the requirements of division (A)(3) of section 4761.04 of the Revised Code if the examination was passed within three years prior to the date of application for an Ohio license. The board will waive the requirements of divisions (A)(2) and (A)(3) of section 4761.04 for any applicant that has successfully completed both portions of the RRT examination in compliance with this rule.
(2) Prior to January 1, 2015, the board recognizes successful completion of the CRT examination administered by the NBRC as meeting the requirements of division (A)(3) of section 4761.04 of the Revised Code if the examination was passed within three years prior to the date of application for an Ohio license.
(3) The board will waive the three year examination recognition period contained in paragraphs (B)(1) and (B)(2) of this rule for persons demonstrating regular employment in the practice of respiratory care by an entity meeting the requirements of division (A)(2) of section 4761.11 of the Revised Code. Applicants meeting this requirement must show proof of successful completion of an examination recognized in paragraphs (B)(1) and (B)(2) of this rule.
(C) Recognition of examination for the purpose of Ohio credentialing:
(1) Applicants for licensure by Ohio credentialing must take and pass the Ohio state credentialing examination offered by the NBRC in accordance with rule 4761-5-02 of the Administrative Code. This examination shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of the agreement between the board and the NBRC; or
(2) Applicants must hold an active license from another state based on taking and passing a state credentialing examination that meets or exceeds the scope of the examination approved by the board under paragraph (C) (1) of this rule.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 04/24/2018
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4761.03
Rule Amplifies: 4761.03, 4761.04(A), 4761.04(B)
Prior Effective Dates: 03/10/1990, 01/01/1996, 05/19/1997, 09/21/1998, 03/26/2001, 07/11/2003, 08/15/2008