(A) Unless the holder of a certificate to practice elects to take an examination approved or administered by the board in accordance with rule 4765-19-02 of the Administrative Code, or is granted an exemption under rule 4765-19-04 of the Administrative Code, the holder shall complete emergency medical services continuing education of such length and in such subject areas as set forth in Chapters 4765-12, 4765-15, 4765-16, and 4765-17 of the Administrative Code.
(B) In order to count for continuing education credit, an EMS continuing education course shall meet all of the following criteria:
(1) Each course shall be related to EMS operations or patient care;
(2) Written documentation of successful completion of the course shall be issued to the student by the sponsoring agency upon successful completion of the course;
(3) A single session of continuing education shall be at least one-half contact hour;
(4) Each EMS continuing education course shall be provided or approved by one of the following entities:
(a) An EMS accredited institution or EMS approved institution;
(b) An EMS licensing agency in another state;
(c) A branch of the armed forces of the United States or a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States, including the Ohio national guard, the Ohio military reserve, the Ohio naval militia, or the national guard of any other state;
(d) A medical or nursing board of this state or another state;
(e) Federal, national or state entities, as follows:
(i) Emergency management agency;
(ii) Homeland security;
(iii) American red cross;
(iv) American heart association;
(v) American safety and health institute;
(vi) Any other agency or organization as approved by the board.
(f) CECBEMS-approved courses.
(C) Each EMS continuing education course shall be provided in one of the following formats:
(1) Instruction in a traditional classroom environment or a seminar setting;
(4) Journals, publications or electronic media formats including compact discs, digital video discs, or other technological media as approved by the board, which shall include a testing process;
(5) A skills practicum course which shall include an evaluation of skills performance;
(7) Other formats as approved by the board.
(D) Portions of an initial certification or licensing course that meet the requirements set forth in paragraphs (B) and (C) of this rule, may be counted towards continuing education credit when the sponsoring entity issues written documentation of the continuing education credit.
(E) Continuing education credit for EMS providers may be obtained from teaching EMS continuing education through an EMS accredited or EMS approved institution provided that:
(1) The continuing education course has received prior approval from the program director;
(2) An EMS provider counts a presentation for continuing education credit only once during a twelve month period;
(3) The number of contact hours awarded to the holder of a certificate to teach or guest lecturer for a presentation shall not exceed the total number of contact hours established for the course.
(a) Contact hours can only be awarded for that portion of the course presented by the holder of a certificate to teach or guest lecturer.
(b) Continuing education contact hours may be awarded for additional portions of the activity the holder of a certificate to teach or guest lecturer attends.
(c) Contact hours shall not be awarded for time spent in the development or preparation of a course or presentation.
(F) Notwithstanding the requirements set forth in paragraph (B) of this rule, the division shall consider relevant education, training, or service completed by the holder of a certificate to practice as a member of the armed forces of the United States or reserve components thereof, the Ohio national guard, the Ohio military reserve, the Ohio naval militia, or the national guard of any other state in determining whether the holder of a certificate to practice has fulfilled required continuing education.
Cite as Ohio Admin. Code 4765-19-01
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 05/13/2014 and 03/12/2018
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: R.C. 4765.11, R.C. 4765.16
Rule Amplifies: 4765.31
Prior Effective Dates: 1/1/96, 2/22/99, 3/23/03, 12/27/07, 2/1/09, 2/6/12