[Comment: For dates and availability of material incorporated by reference in this rule, see paragraph (CC) in rule 4765-11-01 of the Administrative Code.]
(A) An applicant for a firefighter certificate shall satisfy the following requirements:
(1) Submit a completed application, "Firefighter or Fire Safety Inspector Initial Application"
(2) Successfully complete a firefighter training course through a chartered program, and receive a document of course completion at the level for which the certificate of firefighter training is sought;
(3) Pass the knowledge and practical examinations as set forth in rule 4765-20-06 of the Administrative Code;
(4) Be at least eighteen years of age;
(5) Has not been convicted of any of the following:
(a) Any felony;
(b) A misdemeanor committed in the course of practice;
(c) A misdemeanor involving moral turpitude.
(6) Has not committed fraud, misrepresentation, or material deception in applying for or obtaining a certificate issued under section 4765.55 of the Revised Code and this chapter.
(B) In deciding whether to grant a firefighter certificate, the executive director, with the advice and counsel of the committee, has the following options:
(1) The executive director shall issue a firefighter certificate to an applicant who meets all of the requirements listed in paragraphs (A)(1) to (A)(6) of this rule;
(2) The executive director shall refuse to grant a firefighter certificate to an applicant who fails to meet one or more of the requirements listed in paragraphs (A)(1) to (A)(4) of this rule;
(3) The executive director may grant, refuse to grant, or restrict a firefighter certificate to an applicant who meets the requirements listed in paragraphs (A)(1) to (A)(4) of this rule, but fails to meet one or more of the requirements listed in paragraphs (A)(5) to (A)(6) of this rule.
(C) No person shall hold a firefighter certificate at more than one level.
(D) In addition to the requirements set forth in paragraphs (A)(1) to (A)(6) of this rule, an applicant for a firefighter certificate shall successfully complete the following "Federal Emergency Management Agency" training courses:
(1) "National Incident Management System Course IS-700;"
(2) "National Incident Management System Course ICS-100" or the online equivalent.
(E) In addition to meeting the requirements set forth in paragraphs (A)(1) to (A)(6) and (D) of this rule, an applicant for a firefighter I or firefighter II certificate shall have successfully completed training on "NFPA standard 472" related to the minimum requirements in terms of professional core competencies for hazardous materials awareness and operations.
(F) The requirements listed in paragraphs (A)(1) to (A)(3) of this rule shall commence and end within a consecutive twelve month period.
(G) A firefighter certificate issued pursuant to this rule shall be issued in accordance with the certification cycles and pro-rated renewal requirements set forth in rule 4765-20-22 of the Administrative Code.
Replaces: 4765-20-02, 4765-11-03, in part, 4765-11-10, in part, 4765-11-11, in part, 4765-11-12, in part, 4765-11-13, in part, and 4765-11-14, in part.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 01/16/2019
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4765.55
Rule Amplifies: 4765.55
Prior Effective Dates: 7/25/04, 6/30/75, 5/1/79, 1/1/89, 1/1/96, 9/25/00, 5/29/03, 01/24/08, and 01/01/11