(A) The board shall issue a certificate of approval, pursuant to section 4765.17 of the Revised Code and this chapter, to any applicant who is of good reputation and demonstrates that the EMS continuing education program for which the applicant seeks approval meets the following requirements:
(1) Has submitted a completed application in a format approved by the board;
(2) Has an authorizing official with good reputation who assumes responsibility for the following:
(a) Serves as program director or designates a person of good reputation to serve as program director;
(b) Administers and operates the EMS continuing education training program;
(c) Complies with all rules and laws applicable to EMS continuing education training and the holding of a certificate of approval;
(d) Continuously monitors the program content and the instructor(s) for all course offerings;
(e) Approves all course offerings, location(s) of training and instructors prior to the start of the course;
(f) Assures that courses are developed under the direction of a physician who specializes in emergency medicine and that each course that deals with trauma care is developed in consultation with a physician who specializes in trauma surgery;
(g) Prepares or approves all documents required to be submitted for the certificate of approval;
(i) Performs ongoing review of all class locations to ensure an environment conducive to learning, except online education or distance learning provided in accordance with rule 4765-7-11 of the Administrative Code;
(j) Ensures a refresher course is conducted in accordance with rule 4765-7-11 of the Administrative Code and is in compliance with the objectives, topics, hours and evaluation process as outlined in Chapters 4765-12, 4765-15, 4765-16, and 4765-17 of the Administrative Code.
(3) Has a program medical director who assists in the development of the medical components of the training program and determines the appropriateness of the continuing education course offering(s);
(4) Utilizes individuals who hold a valid and current certificate to teach in accordance with Chapter 4765-18 of the Administrative Code;
(5) Utilizes holders of a certificate to teach that are instructing a course at or below the level of the certificate holder's certificate to practice;
(6) Maintains financial resources adequate for the satisfactory delivery of the courses of study;
(7) Maintains and ensures access to training equipment adequate for the satisfactory delivery of the courses of study or maintains written agreements for the training equipment;
(8) Has and maintains one fixed geographic location where an EMS approved institution operates and where EMS continuing education training is conducted:
(a) The fixed geographic location where the EMS approved institution operates or where EMS continuing education training is conducted shall not consist of a house trailer, tent, temporary stand, rooming house, apartment, post office box or in a room in a hotel or motel;
(b) The fixed geographic location where an EMS approved institution operates shall not be in a residence, except those utilizing online or distance learning delivery systems as provide in this chapter. A residence shall not be used to offer EMS continuing education in a traditional classroom environment or seminar setting, nor shall it be used to permit any students to gather or meet.
(9) Has and maintains an office in a fixed geographic location where records are maintained:
(a) The fixed geographic location of the office shall not consist of a house trailer, tent, temporary stand, post office box, rooming house, apartment or in a room in a hotel or motel;
(b) The fixed geographic location of the office shall not be within a residence except those provided through online education or distance learning in accordance with this chapter. The office in a residence cannot be utilized to meet with any students, conduct training, or meet with division staff.
(10) Ensures adequate classroom and laboratory facilities to accommodate the number of students participating in the continuing education programs, except those programs provided through online education or distance learning in accordance with rule 4765-7-11 of the Administrative Code;
(11) Ensures classroom environments that are safe, sanitary and conducive to learning, except those programs provided through online education or distance learning in accordance with rule 4765-7-11 of the Administrative Code;
(12) Advises students of all costs associated with the continuing education course offering and the fee refund policy;
(13) Does not discriminate in the acceptance of students on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, or national origin;
(14) Requires all attendees at each course offering to complete an evaluation addressing course content, facility and instructor(s);
(15) Has security parameters set forth protecting the students' financial and personal information in accordance with state and federal laws.
(B) An EMS approved institution or applicant for a certificate of approval shall allow access by the division, during regular business hours and at all other reasonable times, to conduct an inspection of EMS continuing education training records and all EMS instructor records except as listed in paragraph (C) of this rule.
(C) An EMS approved institution conducting online education or distance learning, as provided in this chapter, at a residence shall make records available to the division at a government agency or facility in the proximity of the residence, as approved by the division.
(D) An EMS approved institution shall retain written or electronic files, in a secure location, with the following documentation for each course offered by the institution:
(1) Title and date(s) of course;
(2) Course starting and ending times, except those programs provided through online education or distance learning in accordance with this chapter;
(3) Lesson materials and a copy of each knowledge and/or skill evaluation instrument utilized to evaluate student performance and achievement;
(4) Physician approval of course medical content in compliance with this rule;
(5) Course attendance records with the following information:
(a) Course title, date, location and time offered;
(b) Students' signatures documenting the hours of attendance;
(c) Name of the holder of the certificate to teach. If a guest lecturer is utilized, the record shall document names of both the guest lecturer and the EMS instructor of record present in the classroom during the presentation.
(7) Regular evaluation of student performance and achievement in a refresher course through written and practical testing administered prior to the issuance of a certificate of completion;
(8) A summary of student evaluations of course content, facility and instructor(s);
(9) Written documentation of a current and valid certificate to practice or license and current and valid certificate to teach for each holder of a certificate to teach utilized in the EMS training program;
(10) Written agreements with each organization that provides equipment, clinical and/or prehospital experiences to adequately train EMS personnel.
(E) A certificate of approval shall have a three-year cycle. However, if the approved institution meets all of the following requirements, the board shall issue the institution a certificate of approval with a five-year cycle:
(1) The certificate holder is of good reputation;
(2) The approved institution is in compliance with all the requirements in this rule;
(3) The approved institution has held a certificate of approval for the preceding six years;
(4) The previous certificate of approval was issued without any contingencies;
(5) The approved institution has not been issued a provisional certificate of approval during the preceding six years;
(6) The approved institution has not received any disciplinary action by the board during the preceding six years.
(F) The board shall renew a certificate of approval if both of the following apply:
(1) The application for renewal is completed and submitted to the division no later than the thirtieth day prior to expiration of the current certificate;
(G) The EMS approved institution shall maintain all documentation required in this rule for the duration of the current approval cycle and for the previous approval cycle.
(H) If the EMS approved institution is utilizing online or distance learning delivery systems, it shall meet all requirements set forth in this chapter and maintain documentation of such compliance.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 11/13/2013
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: R.C. 4765.11
Rule Amplifies: R.C. 4765.15 , 4765.16 , 4765.17
Prior Effective Dates: 1/1/96, 2/22/99, 2/1/09