(A) An applicant for a certificate to practice as an emergency medical responder, emergency medical technician, advanced emergency medical technician, or paramedic must meet the following requirements:
(1) Submit a completed application on a form approved by the board;
(2) Successfully complete an EMS training program through an accredited institution, pursuant to section 4765.17 of the Revised Code and Chapter 4765-7 of the Administrative Code, and receive a certificate verifying completion of such program at the level for which the certificate to practice is sought. Such program must have been completed no more than two years prior to making application;
(3) Submit documentation of successful completion of the following federal emergency management agency training courses:
(a) National incident management system course IS-700.a:
(ii) For materials and information for instructor led, classroom-based courses, the web site can be accessed at http://www.training.fema.gov/is/coursematerials.aspx?code=is-700.a;
(b) Incident command system course IS-100.b:
(ii) For materials and information for instructor led, classroom-based courses, the web site can be accessed at http://www.training.fema.gov/is/coursematerials.aspx?code=is-100.b .
Completion of the above courses is mandated by the department of homeland security pursuant to homeland security presidential directives five (HSPD-5, February 28, 2003) and eight (HSPD-8, December 17, 2003) and approved by the board as being necessary for initial training.
(5) Be at least eighteen years of age;
(6) Has not been convicted of, pled guilty to, had a judicial finding of guilt for, or had a judicial finding of eligibility for treatment and/or intervention in lieu of conviction for, any of the following:
(a) Any felony;
(b) A misdemeanor committed in the course of practice;
(c) A misdemeanor involving moral turpitude;
(d) A violation of any federal, state, county, or municipal narcotics or controlled substance law;
(e) Any act committed in another state or jurisdiction that, if committed in Ohio, would constitute a violation set forth in this paragraph.
(7) Has not been adjudicated mentally incompetent by a court of law;
(8) At the time of application, is not under indictment for any felony or has any misdemeanor charges pending as outlined in paragraph (A)(6) of this rule;
(9) Does not engage in the illegal use or illegal acquisition of controlled substances, alcohol, or other habit-forming drugs or chemical substances while on duty as an EMS provider;
(10) Has not committed fraud or material deception in applying for, or obtaining a certificate issued under Chapter 4765. of the Revised Code;
(11) Has not been convicted, in this state or another state, of providing emergency medical services or representing himself/herself as an EMS provider without a license or certificate, or similar crime directly related to the profession of EMS;
(12) If the applicant is, or has been, certified or licensed as an EMS provider in this state or another state, the applicant's certificate or license is not currently on probationary status nor has it been suspended or revoked by the board or the EMS certifying or licensing entity in another state.
(B) In deciding whether to grant a certificate to practice, the board has the following options:
(1) The board shall issue a certificate to practice to an applicant who meets all of the requirements listed in paragraph (A) of this rule;
(2) The board shall refuse to grant a certificate to practice to an applicant who fails to meet one or more of the requirements listed in paragraphs (A)(1) to (A)(5) of this rule;
(3) The board may grant, refuse to grant, or limit a certificate to practice to an applicant who meets the requirements listed in paragraphs (A)(1) to (A)(5) of this rule, but fails to meet one or more of the requirements listed in paragraphs (A)(6) to (A)(12) of this rule.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 01/15/2016 and 01/14/2021
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4765.11, 4765.30
Rule Amplifies: 4765.30
Prior Effective Dates: 1/1/96, 2/22/99, 4/29/00, 1/13/02, 3/23/03, 2/13/06, 9/28/06, 7/2/09, 2/06/12