(A) Every sponsor of a continuing education course shall designate one person to serve as the continuing education coordinator for all commission-approved continuing education courses offered by the sponsor. The continuing education coordinator shall serve as the sponsor's official contact person and shall be responsible for monitoring the attendance and conduct of all students for the duration of each class session. The continuing education coordinator may delegate classroom monitoring duties to a designee. Nothing in this rule prohibits the coordinator from also being the course instructor for courses having fewer than twenty students.
(B) The continuing education coordinator or its designee shall monitor student attendance and shall:
(1) Ensure that all students reported as satisfactorily completing a course have attended at least ninety per cent of the scheduled classroom hours; and
(2) Ensure that no student is admitted to the class session after ten percent of the scheduled classroom hours for that day have been conducted; and
(3) Refuse to allow a student to sign a course attendance roster report or receive a course completion certificate unless the student fully satisfies the attendance requirements; and
(4) Not report that a student has completed the course to the commission unless the student fully satisfies the attendance requirements.
(C) Except for self-paced learning courses, the continuing education coordinator or its designee shall, ensure compliance with the following:
(1) Courses shall not exceed eight classroom hours in any given day. A classroom hour shall consist of at least fifty minutes of instruction.
(2) The maximum permissible classroom session without a break is limited to ninety minutes.
(3) Courses scheduled for more than four hours in a day shall include a meal break of at least one hour.
(D) The continuing education coordinator or its designee shall assist instructors in monitoring compliance with the student participation requirements. An instructor or education coordinator may dismiss any student who fails to comply with student participation requirements.
(E) The continuing education coordinator or its designee shall be responsible for monitoring student check-in at all continuing education courses. At check-in, each student shall be required to provide his or her license number and a photo identification issued by a federal, state or local government. Any student providing false information to a course sponsor shall not receive continuing education credits for the course, shall not be entitled to a refund of course fees, and may be subject to disciplinary action by the commission.
(F) The continuing education coordinator shall be responsible for providing course reports to the commission's continuing education administrator. All reports shall be received by the commission's continuing education administrator within fifteen calendar days of completion of a course.
(1) For each student who has satisfactorily completed the course, the coordinator shall prepare and submit a report that includes:
(a) The licensee's name and license number;
(b) The date of course completion;
(c) The number of credit hours to be granted to the licensee;
(d) A course completion certificate signed by at least one instructor of that course;
(e) Confirmation that the same course was not repeated and reported for credit by the licensee within the previous three year period. No required fees shall be issued for any course credits that are rejected for this reason; and
(f) A fee of five dollars plus a five dollar administrative fee per credit hour per licensee made payable by check or money order to "Treasurer, State of Ohio," or by credit card. Any online credit card payment may be subject to a convenience fee.
(G) Sponsors shall assure that, if necessary, adequate personnel in addition to the instructor are present during all class sessions to assist the instructor, coordinator, or designee in monitoring attendance and in performing administrative tasks associated with conducting a course. Sponsors shall make sure that the time required for administrative tasks does not interfere with the designated instruction time.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 10/16/2009 and 10/01/2014
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: R.C. 478l.04, 4781.07
Rule Amplifies: R.C. 4781.04, 4781.07, 4781.10, 4781.11, 4781.12,
4781.14 Prior Effective Dates: 9/15/2006