(A) A sponsor may request that the commission approve a distance learning course for either a continuing education or an initial licensing course. A sponsor seeking approval from the commission for a distance learning course shall meet all the requirements of this chapter, and shall demonstrate that the proposed distance learning course meets the following criteria:
(1) Designed to assure that students have clearly defined learning objectives, and means by which those objectives will be met. The course shall also provide for direct interaction between the student and instructor, if required by the nature of the subject matter;
(2) Testing processes appropriate to ensure student mastery of the subject matter if the course does not provide for continuous audio and visual communication between the students and instructor;
(3) If a self-paced study shall be designed to take a student of average ability at least the same amount of time as it would take for an average student to complete in a comparable on site class covering the same or similar materials. All self-paced study courses must utilize a system that assures that students have actually performed all the tasks required for completion of the course and mastery of the subject material;
(4) Technical support must be made available to the students to ensure their ability to satisfactorily complete the course;
(5) Instructor shall be reasonably available to respond in a timely manner to student questions and shall have appropriate training in the proper use of the instructional delivery method, including the use of computer hardware and software and other equipment and systems;
(6) Students shall receive an orientation information packet containing all information regarding requirements that are unique to a distance learning course, including, but not limited to, requirements for specific computer hardware, software or other equipment and systems. The orientation packet shall also specify how the student can access technical support and instructor assistance during the course;
(7) Establish procedures that provide reasonable assurance that the student has actually completed the work required for completion of the course before that student can receive credit for the course. For self-paced and independent study courses, the student shall be required to certify in writing, or by means of a specific electronic certification program, that the student completed all the required coursework. The sponsor must keep a record of all student certifications.
(B) No distance learning course shall be approved by the commission unless the commission also receives a complete copy of the course in the medium that is to be utilized, including any software that will be used in instructing students or administering tests. If the course is internet-based, the commission shall be provided with access to the course via internet and shall not be charged a fee for such access.
(C) The course sponsor shall report to the commission in accordance with paragraph (F)
of rule 4781-9-03 of the Administrative Code. No student shall be reported as having successfully completed a distance learning course unless the student has provided the written certification set forth in paragraph (A)(7) of this rule.
(1) The non-refundable fee for commission review of a distance learning course shall be one hundred fifty dollars made payable by check or money order to "Treasurer, State of Ohio" or by credit card. A renewal fee not to exceed seventy-five dollars is charged to the sponsor of each course, for the annual renewal of each course.
(2) The course sponsor shall pay a fee of five dollars per credit hour plus a five dollar per credit hour administrative fee per licensee. The fee shall be made payable by check or money order to "Treasurer, State of Ohio" or by credit card.
(3) Any online payment made by credit card may be subject to a convenience fee.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 10/16/2009 and 10/01/2014
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: R.C. 4781.04 , 4781.07
Rule Amplifies: R.C. 4781.07 , 4781.10 , 4781.11 , 4781.12 , 4781.14
Prior Effective Dates: 9/15/2006