(A) Rules 4901:1-18-12 to 4901:1-18-17 of the Administrative Code, apply to the percentage of income payment plan (PIPP) for residential service from a gas or natural gas utility company. PIPP rules and requirements for residential electric utility service are located in Chapter 122:5-3 of the Administrative Code.
(B) A customer is eligible for PIPP if the customer meets one of the following criteria:
(1) The household income for the past three months, if annualized, would be less than or equal to one hundred fifty per cent of the federal poverty guidelines.
(2) The annualized household income for the past three months is more than one hundred fifty per cent of the federal poverty guidelines, but the customer has a household income for the past twelve months which is less than or equal to one hundred fifty per cent of the federal poverty guidelines.
(C) If the customer meets the income eligibility requirements, as set forth in paragraph (B) of this rule, to participate in PIPP, the customer must also:
(1) Apply for all public energy assistance for which the customer is eligible.
(2) Apply for all weatherization programs for which the customer is eligible.
(3) Sign and submit a release to the Ohio department of development and the affected jurisdictional gas or natural gas utility company giving permission for that entity to receive information from any public or private agency that provides income or energy assistance to the customer, or from any member of the customer's household, and/or from any public or private employer of the customer or member of the customer's household as it relates to PIPP eligibility.
(4) Notify the local agency designated by the Ohio department of development, within thirty days, of any change in income or household size.
(D) In addition to the requirements set forth in paragraphs (B) and (C) of this rule, a PIPP customer must also periodically reverify his/her eligibility.
(1) All PIPP customers must provide proof of eligibility to the Ohio department of development of the household income at least once every twelve months at or about the customer's PIPP anniversary date. The customer shall be accorded a grace period of sixty days after the customer's PIPP anniversary date to reverify eligibility.
(2) Except as provided in this paragraph, the PIPP customer must be current on his/her income-based PIPP payments at the customer's PIPP reverification date to be eligible to remain on PIPP for the subsequent twelve months. The customer will have one billing cycle after the PIPP reverification date to pay any missed PIPP payments before being removed from the program. Missed PIPP payments include:
(a) Any delayed payments as a result of the customer's prior use of a medical certificate in accordance with paragraph (C) of rule 4901:1-18-06 of the Administrative Code.
(b) Any missed payments, including PIPP payments which would have been due for the months the customer is disconnected from gas utility service. These missed PIPP payments must be paid prior to the restoration of utility service. The amount of the PIPP payments due shall not exceed the amount of the customer's arrearage.
(3) All PIPP customers must also provide proof of eligibility to the gas or natural gas utility company upon request. No gas or natural gas utility company shall request such proof without justification.
(4) PIPP customers who have been dropped from the PIPP program due to nonpayment may re-enroll in the program after all missed PIPP payments, from the time of enrollment or the PIPP reverification date, up until re-enrollment, have been cured. This includes payments for any months in which the customer was disconnected. The amount due shall not exceed the amount of the customer's arrearage.
(E) Upon the customer's enrollment in PIPP and at reverification, the gas or natural gas utility company shall provide the customer with a copy of PIPP literature including, at a minimum, the customer's monthly payment, service address, arrearage at plan initiation, nonrecurring fees, timely payment incentives, reverification requirements including the customer's anniversary date, and customer responsibilities when the customer is no longer eligible for the program.
Replaces: part of 4901:1-18-04
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 11/30/2013
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 4905.04, 4905.06
Rule Amplifies: 4905.06, 4905.22, 4933.12, 4933.122
Prior Effective Dates: 3/22/80, 10/6/82, 12/1/83, 1/19/84, 10/10/84, 1/8/85, 12/7/91, 9/1/04